My Bamboo shrimp escape story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank has been doing ok since I made some drastic changes. Been going on 2 weeks now with no deaths and seemingly happy shrimp.

I decided I wanted a centerpiece for the 10 gallon and found out our local Petco carries asian filter shrimp (bamboo). I went and they looked great. Not quite full size but pretty close and appeared healthy. I got one for $10, slowly acclimated to the tank, and the bamboo shrimp seemed nice and happy. It was scraping stuff with it's fans all over the ground and filtering out of the water and exploring the tank. This is my tank at work so when I left for the day yesterday everything was great.

I have a glass top with a small cutout for the HOB filter. Minus that small spot there is virtually no way anything can get out. But apparently that was the only spot needed.

Spent 30min this morning when I got to work and couldn't find the shrimp in the tank, in my cubicle, on the floor, etc. Did a Google search and found out they are known escape artists. I widened my search but still couldn't find it. Then a coworker came in. I mentioned to keep an eye out for a shrimp (somewhat as a joke). All of a sudden he called me over. The shrimp had been found.

It had somehow climbed out of the tank, off the desk and onto the floor, and then walked 15 feet under the cubicles to the outside of someone's office where it finally died (probably from drying out). I'm really bummed both due to the cost and the loss of the shrimp, but that is one heck of a story….

I'm going to have to give serious thought to what I can possibly do to keep another one in the tank. Some sort of metal mesh or something as the only openings are so seemingly difficult to exploit I'm shocked...

Sorry for the loss.

I had a problem with my RCS somehow getting out of my 20L and cooking under the light. I have a glass canopy on the tank, but I had a piece missing from the plastic strip where I used to have a second filter. Once I replaced that missing piece, there were no more cooked RCS.

I'd stay away from metal. It can cause problems in aquariums. I'd recommend the glass canopy. You can fit it to your equipment pretty tightly.

I would try just plain ol' plastic wrap. Cover the area a couple times with it until it seems thick enough to not be penetrated. When I was looking at these shrimp I was also told they are escape artists and that they would climb up the filter spout, up and out. I was amazed with that I still am looking into them though they are pretty awesome looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom