my barb tank--what to add

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have mollies, a betta, clown loach, red tailed shark, 4 zebra danios and 5 tiger barbs in a 29, most any fish will do good with barbs, you just need to keep them in a school of 6 or more to keep the nipping down

I wouldn't get a clown loach. They prefer to be in schools, and while it may take years, they will eventually outgrow even a 55 gallon. How about yo yo loaches instead? I really like mine, and they will stay small enough. I wouldn't add a male betta, but a female would be ok. JMO, but I would think that the flowing fins of the male would be too much temptation for barbs. A school of corys would be fun. A school of rainbows would add a lot of color. A severum would do fine with barbs, if you want to take things in a little more aggressive direction, and Bolivian rams would work if you didn't. You really have a lot of options here, and I think you're going to have fun choosing!

Oh, I see. I've never kept a pictus before. Sounds like maybe you should go toward some semi-aggressive fish (no Bolivian rams after all). A blue acara would be nice, and/or a firemouth, sajica, etc. My firemouth is pretty aggressive but tends to leave my barbs alone. In case you can't tell, I'm a little biased toward SA/CA cichlids lol!

You might want to add in say 3 more Green tiger barbs, and say a few neons. They are small enough that they won't put a huge load on even if you get 7 or 8 of them. And they move fast enough to deal with the barbs.

I currently have 11 ADULT tigerbarbs, rainbow shark, and a pleco in a 50G and they more then take up the tank.

Good luck

I believe the pictus may eat a neon. :lol: I may add another angelicus botia loach and a clown and maybe the shark. The clown will play with the other two loaches I think. It says on his profile that he might. I know I am getting a few black ruby barbs.

Back
Top Bottom