My BIG Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had a red/black platy in a dbl hex bowl for over 1yr now. He was placed in this bowl because he was aggressive and ate 2 of his own kind and 1 white cloud. Aptly named Lucifer, from that day he has lived in this bowl which is not filtered or heated and has 1 plastic plant and about 1/2 to 1 inch gravel.

Research has taught me that aggression can be brought on by too many males to female ratio, of which I believe was Lucifers undoing. Killing the white cloud maybe due to it being sick or weak.

I know that Lucifer is not in ideal conditions in this bowl even though he has grown to over an inch in length more like 2 inches (he is 4cm). He eats well and scrounges for food all day, even nipping at the algae on the plastic plants. His colouring is a brilliant orange/ red with a black tail and black spots on his head. His body is nice and thick.

With the above background given I would like to know if I should continue with him in this bowl or whether I should add him to my 6gal/23ltr planted tropical tank with 5 cardinal tetras and a clown loach.

As his tank is at 15-18 deg C, it would be a slow process to get the temp right before adding him to the 26deg C tropical. Would I have to get him 2 female companions, or will he be ok on his own in the community?

Also, because he has been on his own for such a long time, will he be more or less likely territorial in the community tank?

My concern lies in the risk that Lucifer will attack my cardinals.

Would appreciate all input.
Louise

My concern lies in the risk that Lucifer will attack my cardinals.

He has a bad history, I think the risk to your cardinals would be too high. I'd try to take him back to the lfs if you have no other place for him.

Cheers Corvuscorax

I will contact my LFS and see if they will do this.

Thank you, I have thought about it more overnight and think that the risk is too great.

Louise

Back
Top Bottom