My black moor sucking air.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, thank you so much for all the advice! I'll let you know how it goes.

I will feed them only blood worms tonight and see what he does. and first thing tomorrow, heading to LFS for higher quality food.

Keep us posted, make sure to keep those Nitrates under 20 ppm too and ammo as close to 0 as you can get it.

Donkey Gun said:
Fed him only bloodworms this evening, and he's back to the top, sucking air.

Ok, you can try peas only, or fresh spinach, kale, dandelion leaves. And see about that.

Something is causing him to get gas after eating. Either his stomach is sensitive to any food, Or he needs to be flushed out for a couple days with fresh good. Check out the below link on swim bladder and bounancy.

http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/buoyancy.html

Thank you,
could you please send me some gel recipes? I've decided after reading that article, that this is the route I'm going to to take. Seems that in the long run, freshly homemade food is the way to go... That goes for any living being!

I tried to follow the link to gel recipes in that article, and it took me to another forum to sign up for...

Thank you again for all your support. My black moor, Adendir, I'm sure will be very appreciative.

One thing I've learned. Do not trust all the advice from your LFS, they just want to sell you more fish..

IMO you shouldn't be feeding him bloodworms if it's every day. Bloodworms are high in protien and could lead to some problems.

What are you feeding him? Anything fed to him should be sinking stuff, not floating at the top. Fancy golds are prone to swim bladder problems as a result of gulping in air from the surface, so that can be a problem as well.

If you decided to feed vegetables, blanch them first.

Dwohlge1 said:
Sure here it is. Give it a try, let me know of you have questions. Also since you have other fish you may want to do some research because it is food meant for goldfish. Not sure if it matters.

http://thegab.org/Goldfish/gelfoodrecipes.html

Wow, what a recipe! One of my other hobbies is making jams and marmalades and those involve less steps..

However, seems like fun an 5 cups I imagine lasts awhile.

I also notice that all these recipes are fairly high in protein, above 60%. how often do you feed them this gel?

Donkey Gun said:
I also notice that all these recipes are fairly high in protein, above 60%. how often do you feed them this gel?

It's the gelatin that puts the protein so high. I give it to my fish once a day in the morning. Then I have a veggie clip with fresh blanched spinach that I clip on the side for them to snack the rest of the day.

These foods are very healthy, but somewhat high in protein (around 56%) so adding blended green vegetables to the mix would add more roughage and reduce the protein levels for mature goldfish

I am hoping to slowly work NLS back in after he has been off it for awhile. There is much debate whether which is better gel food or NLS. NLS contains wheat flour which causes the gas. See the below reference.

My understanding that goldies don't do well with simple sugars. Makes them hyperglycemic. I haven't read up on whether digestion of wheat flour differs from vegetables. back when i was doing low carb I remember white things being bad. e.g. potatoes, white flour.

But it's odd because even bloodworms cause the issue. Which contain no wheat flour. It may be that when your moor has a full stomach(I use the term loosely because they don't really have stomachs) he loses the ability to expel air from his swim bladder?

Donkey Gun said:
Wow, what a recipe! One of my other hobbies is making jams and marmalades and those involve less steps..

However, seems like fun an 5 cups I imagine lasts awhile.

It takes me 30 minutes to make, burn a good smelling candle if you are married. My wife was not to happy with the smell :(

You keep a weeks worth out and divide the rest up into one week servings then freeze. I have read all the frozen should be used in a month or it expires. I usually push that out a week So I do 5 weeks. You can research this for yourself as well.

here's a positive update. For the past day in a half I've been only feeding them zucchini and spinach, and the black moor is swimming normally!

I think he does have an issue with certain foods blocking his digestive Tract and causing his air bladder to malfunction.

it's funny to watch him now, because after he eats he's so used to floating, and now he has his freedom back.

Donkey Gun said:
here's a positive update. For the past day in a half I've been only feeding them zucchini and spinach, and the black moor is swimming normally!

I think he does have an issue with certain foods blocking his digestive Tract and causing his air bladder to malfunction.

I am glad to hear! If fresh veggies don't cause it, then it is probably gas.

You can try fresh veggies only for a couple more days then see if you can work in a high quality pellet (NLS, hikari, Omega one) slowly. NLS is the best. If he starts floating from the high quality pellet then he may need gel foods.

I am going to try to work NLS pellets back in after mine has been off them for a month. I will let you know if I have issues.

Dwohlge1 said:
I am glad to hear! If fresh veggies don't cause it, then it is probably gas.

You can try fresh veggies only for a couple more days then see if you can work in a high quality pellet (NLS, hikari, Omega one) slowly. NLS is the best. If he starts floating from the high quality pellet then he may need gel foods.

I am going to try to work NLS pellets back in after mine has been off them for a month. I will let you know if I have issues.

good to know, I was wondering how long I could do just veggies.

I have 2 hours to make it to the LFS. Hopefully they will have NLS.

Donkey Gun said:
good to know, I was wondering how long I could do just veggies.

I have 2 hours to make it to the LFS. Hopefully they will have NLS.

I meant you can try a veggies only diet ... For a couple more days. Sorry.

Veggies alone do not have enough nutritional content for them so it cannot be a permanent solution.

Im glad to hear the veggies are helping!!! Perhaps you can incorporate them into his diet on a daily basis (in addition to a quality food) and that will be sufficient to keep him healthy. I would just go slowly introducing the new food and see how he does with it-you will know pretty quickly if its not a good match. Keep us posted!

I understand. I am concerned the pellets will cause a blockage though. I will soak them first, but just a concern of mine. We will see..

Like you said though, it may be gas, so blockage was possibly never the issue.

Glad to hear he is doing better though! Hopefully, you can get him on a good, balanced diet without the floating issues. You have been given good advice, so it sounds promising. :)

I've picked up Hikari!
I'll probably begin introducing it into their veggie diet on Tuesday. My girlfriend, whom I live with, is beginning to think I'm crazy for spending my whole weekend getting to the bottom of this.. LOL.

Thank you for all the great advice!

Attachments

• image-2601915652.jpg
    image-2601915652.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 48
Donkey Gun said:
My girlfriend, whom I live with, is beginning to think I'm crazy for spending my whole weekend getting to the bottom of this.. LOL.
!

Been there...

Back
Top Bottom