My Bolivian Ram hates my light...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

I've had my Bolivian for around a month. The little guy is healthy, happy, all water parameters are pristine and other fish in the tank are compatible.

Problem is, I'm convinced he hates my lighting. In my 48 gallon bow I have duel T-5 HO 39 watt bulbs, one daylight ("Ultra Sun") and the other actinic.
36 in. AquaSun T5 HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood - 2 x 39W | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

The little guy is beautiful and colorful when the lights are off (even when the room is fully lit, not just in the dark), but the second one or both of my aquarium lights flips on he turns to a pearl color (rather drab) for the remainder of the day.

His behavior doesn't change, he's still friendly and active...but he's basically a black and white fish.

I've mounted my light above the tank instead of being flush hoping it would help...but no.

Any ideas? I've considered floating some Water Sprite to give him cover...but I'm pretty sure that would end up with my Amano Shrimp crawling across the carpet and probably end up under my girls shoe (squish first, ask questions later, lol).

Thanks!

Last edited:
I currently have 3 bolivian rams. I had a single bolivian ram in my community tank for months and he was very drab looking and hung out around the bottom. A friend of mine had 3 rams in his tank and they were all fully of color, the reds, yellows, golds, and blues all stood out. I decided to purchase 2 more bolivian rams so I could have a little trio going on too, and my origional ram colored up the very next day. He's very active all over the tank and usually is show casing is color. So im not too sure if it will work but maybe you should try getting him some bolivian ram buddies

The lights are one daylight (white) and the other actinic (blue / violet). I've tried combinations of just having one or the other on...and it still doesn't make a difference. He pales up as soon as the light comes on.

I researched getting more than one Ram initially. I decided against it because with two of the same gender can cause the possibility of aggression, and a male / female may decide to breed and become hostile towards the other small peaceful fish I have in there.

Maybe he is just a night fish. :) I know your water is perfect so he should be glowing with good health. A friend might make all the difference.

rich311k said:
Maybe he is just a night fish. :) I know your water is perfect so he should be glowing with good health. A friend might make all the difference.

Lol, you may be right. I had a little bit of an algae bloom I thought may have stressed him a little...but that's been cleared up and wasn't the issue apparently. I've been tossing around the idea of adding a few Pandas or trying my hand at another GBR (from a reputable source this time :-( ). Maybe I should start re-reviewing the option of another Bolivian again. :)

I have a trio of bolivians, i'm not sure exactly of their sexes but it seems like 2 paired off immediately and the other one hangs around when they let him/her. I have them in a tank full of platys, cories, sparkling gouramis, and female bettas. I've pretty much never seen them interact with any other species, ever haha. They are very into their own kind. I've never had issues with them. They are very entertaining together as well, when they have their little sparring episodes which are harmless. They are all bark and no bite.

severum mama said:
What color is your substrate?

Hi SM :). It's actually white aquarium gravel. That thought hadn't crossed my mind. It is well planted with plenty of hiding places, but he seems more than happy to be out and about (he's good friends with my Red Eye Tetras)...just not a fan of the light coming on, lol.

Many fish will lighten up against a white substrate. My guess is that this is what is happening here. The fish might darken up just when the light is off because the gravel isn't so bright then.

severum mama said:
Many fish will lighten up against a white substrate. My guess is that this is what is happening here. The fish might darken up just when the light is off because the gravel isn't so bright then.

That makes sense, I guess they feel kind of exposed and try to blend in? Any ideas on something that might help short of switching substrates? Maybe scattering a good portion of river rocks along the bottom might might make him feel more comfortable?

Sure, that might work. Or, try adding more plant cover and hiding spots. Swapping substrate is no fun. LOL.

severum mama said:
Sure, that might work. Or, try adding more plant cover and hiding spots. Swapping substrate is no fun. LOL.

Thanks for the advice :). I think I'll give the rocks a try. There's plenty of real plant cover and hiding spots in the DW (photos in profile are far from current thanks to some of the beautiful plants I got from you), but he seems more than content out and about. I may give the floating Water Sprite a shot too. Hopefully the Amanos don't view it as a ladder out if the tank :)

I can't for the life of me grow water sprite when it's planted in the substrate but it goes absolutely nuts in our tanks when we toss it in as a floating plant. There are a couple tanks we've had where it covers the top and then we get this crazy emersed growth out of it. LOL.

I don't think he is going pale because he is stressed. I really just think it is the brightness of that white gravel. Maybe some floating plants at least will help subdue the lighting and "tone it down".

Back
Top Bottom