My CAE jumped off the face of the earth and never came back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm cleaning out my tank and my CAE China is just MISSING ....I checked all his usual hiding places, all nooks and crannies of the tank, there's no dead dried up fish on my floor and I looked in the decorations I took out (that I put in my 10 gal since I'm not using it right now) and he's just MISSING! NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!

Could be hiding in the substrate or really wedged in one of those ornaments and just overlooked. LOL. I know how you feel. Years ago I was cleaning out a 60 gallon river tank and had three pairs of rubber eels. The tank got torn down to it's bare gravel and was missing one. Couldn't find the damn thing anywhere. Once everything was back into place and up and running, I put in some food and made a head count and sure enough...all of them were there.

Maybe they're kidnapped by aliens...LOL...I'm only kidding. It gives such a lost feeling. Sit tight and perhaps ET will return him like he did mine LOL.

I have has one dwarf puffer compeltely disapear, but he was small enough that removign any evidence of his exisatnce would be na eassy job by the snails. I had an oto go missing, found his dried up body a month later on the inside of a deco I removed. most recently, I had a yound angelfish compeltely deisapear. still dont know what happened to him. he was there onemorning, gone that afternoon. all deco was removed, checked and rechecked, no sign And I really liked that little guy

I don't think anything can eat a puffer even when it's dead (except lionfish...perhaps other scorpion fish too). They can kill you long after they are dead and fried in a pan on someone's stove if not cooked right. I guess nature really doesn't want them to be preyed on by much. That's a well armed animal.

Though the dwarf puffers are tiny enough to get lost in the gravel when they die.

captive bgred puffers are not poisonous tetradonin (name of the poison if I remmber right) is actaullya by-product of wildly contracted bacteria, it is not present in captive bred fish aftera few generations

captive bgred puffers are not poisonous tetradonin (name of the poison if I remmber right) is actaullya by-product of wildly contracted bacteria, it is not present in captive bred fish aftera few generations

The majority of puffers on the market are wild caught. In fact, very few have been successfully bred in captivity, so the chances of someone having a captive bred puffer is extremely few and far between. All puffers should be handled as if they were all poisonous whether captive bred or not.

I do find this info. interesting, however. Could you supply a link to more detailed information on this?

ya when i had my puffer and he had ich real bad and before he died my snail was able to climb on him and sure enough the snail died soon after

have you looked in your filter, often times if they can fit they will swim up the intake and often still swimming around in the filter.

2nd idea do you have a cat? Maybe it jumped out of the tank and the cat got it.

I'm pretty sure puffers have an organ the produces the poison...
I remember from a cooking show in japan cooks have to get a licences to cook puffers, and have to learn how to remove the organ in order to serve it.

I have a cat, she's outdoor though. I pulled out all the substrate to put new substrate in, he's not in there. He's not in the filter and I checked all the decorations in every nook and cranny and he's just positively MISSING >___<

Back
Top Bottom