my desk at work is missing something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChefSLC

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been talking with my HR guy and he told me I can have up to a 3 gallon tank on my desk. With that being said, I am going to pick up a 2.5g rimless cube. I am trying to decide what to stock it with. It will be planted with the 12" finnex planted+ light and dosed with excel to help with short term costs.

Right now, I am either going to stock RCS or a wild type or plakats betta. I have just enough room on my desk for the 2.5 cube.

What would you all recommend and why? also, what plants would you recommend for this as well? I am fairly new to all of this and for now I am just starting the planning and gathering of equipment and materials.

As I suggest for many nano aquariums, a dwarf puffer simply because ether are awesome an dull of personality! I literally walk up to my tank and we have staring contests! Also, to go along with the puffer, I would put a dwarf crayfish in there as well. He'll eat all of the left overs from the puffer, and the dwarf cray would love it. If your willing to go the extra mile, maybe do a couple Scarlet Badis and a RCS colony. That way the Scarlet Badis keep the colony under control while they also get food from the shrimp lets that all of the RCS produce. I know, sounds sad, but everything in nature eats babies lol! Hope I helped!

Nils

For plants I would advise anubias nana petite. In terms of fauna it could go either way. A lot of people on here say betas should be kept in at least a 5 gallon tank. I personally believe that a 2.5 gallon tank won't hurt provided you do frequent water changes but to each his or her own. Shrimp might be a better option in this case since the aquascape will be on a smaller scale.

You could do nano fish- I have personally have some chili and three spot dwarf rasboras and pygmy cories in my nano tanks. Depends on if you have them at your fish store. They stay under an inch and are super tiny so you could do 6 rasboras and 4 pygmy cories if you plant heavily enough maybe a few shrimp and a snail for cleaning up algae. You'd have to stock slowly though.

I also have a dwarf orange crayfish they are so fun to have but can get territorial and try to eat other fish. I also have a betta in a one gallon heavily planted bowl and he is loving it more than his old 6 gallon home.

You can also try a pair of killifish if you can get your hands on some. Or crystal red shrimp or some other exotic shrimp species, if you don't mind shelling out more money.

I'd recommend sticking to shrimp. Yes, you can do nano fish as suggested above, but your margin for error is higher since the nano fish bioloads are higher than the shrimp. You'll have to be much more careful about water changes multiple times a week to keep the parameters in where they should be. Also, shrimp seem to do better about going a couple days without food every week on the weekends.

I have a betta on my work desktop, and I'm really happy with my choice. He's full of personality and is a nice bright splash of color against the plants. That would be my first choice!

it being at work, i wouldnt do a puffer and cray. stick to simple hardy fish like a betta and plant the tank beautifully. a blue or red betta could add nice contrast, with a dark substrate and lots of greens and some nice drift wood that stuck out the top of the tank.

Shrimp! I could stare at my 5g RCS tank for hours. I'm starting a low tech tank for my desk that will have yellows...I'm also in the process of setting up a similar tank for the spouse's office with red rili.

I have decided on the tank itself so far. I am pretty sure I will be doing a shrimp tank since it will be easier to leave over the weekend.

For my tank, I am going to go with the Finnex low iron rimless 2.5 gallon Amazon.com : Finnex Low Iron Rimless Aquarium, 2.5-Gallon : Pet Supplies

This tank's profile will be a great place for just under my shelf on my desk.

As for lighting, I will most likely do the planted+ or do some nice DIY clip on lights with some 6.5k bulbs. though these may take up a bit too much space for where I am intending the tank.

As for the plants, I am thinking I am going to try and use only moss's and try and create a nice aquascape. with it. I have seen some that really look great!

Now to locate a filter. Any recommendations for a tank this size? I am on a budget but I am willing to spend enough to make this what I want.

Back
Top Bottom