My discus is sick !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He seems to be doing better slowely.. he isnt as bouyant now.. he doesnt just float like a balloon anymore.. Now he can make it to the bottom of the tank and hide under my driftwood stump..

So i guess thats good, lets just hope he makes it over the night. Im afraid to turn off my tank lights when fish are sick.. because IMO fish that are sick usually die or get worse with the lights off.

well a little update, he is alive, and hes fine now.. He isnt floating or bloated and he is swimming around the tank fine now, he must have just been really constipated and had a gas block up causing him to float.

One of his arm fins look dmged though, probly from when he was floating on the surface sideways must have dried out a little bit.

I wonder if keeping a small doses of epsom salt in the tank 24/7 would actually be benficial for my tank, i read plants use magnesium sulfate as a food source and well if it helps my fish poo'ing then why not ?

I think it is swim bladder. I read that there is no cure for this bit you should soak your flakes in water for a couple of minutes before feeding to remove any air bubbles or try to feed him something like peeled peas(I HEARD peas work but I don't know if they are poisonous to fish.) i hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay glad to hear your fish is okay didn't read ur recent post

well a little update, he is alive, and hes fine now.. He isnt floating or bloated and he is swimming around the tank fine now, he must have just been really constipated and had a gas block up causing him to float.

One of his arm fins look dmged though, probly from when he was floating on the surface sideways must have dried out a little bit.

I wonder if keeping a small doses of epsom salt in the tank 24/7 would actually be benficial for my tank, i read plants use magnesium sulfate as a food source and well if it helps my fish poo'ing then why not ?

Different kettle of fish but I've been wondering that too but for mollies so it might just be the higher gh helps them. On average they seem to be doing better now I'm dosing this for the plants (maybe). Very rare for them to get dropsy, etc so a bit tenuous.

Well i heard dosing Magnesium Sulfate aka Epsom salt in African Chiclid tanks is something you should do to raise the GH because those fish require harder water and higher PH.. Im pretty sure just using argonite sand will be fine, as thats what i use as a substrate for my africans... But yea...

If its good for plants, and helps fish that are constipated im thinking very small doses 24/7 would be beneficial. I read that in the old days people would use this as plant fertilizer for fish tanks. And that you can mix it with water and put it on the bottom of the soil before you plant tomatos and so forth

I think it is swim bladder. I read that there is no cure for this bit you should soak your flakes in water for a couple of minutes before feeding to remove any air bubbles or try to feed him something like peeled peas(I HEARD peas work but I don't know if they are poisonous to fish.) i hope this helps

+1 = green peas

Well i heard dosing Magnesium Sulfate aka Epsom salt in African Chiclid tanks is something you should do to raise the GH because those fish require harder water and higher PH.. Im pretty sure just using argonite sand will be fine, as thats what i use as a substrate for my africans... But yea...

If its good for plants, and helps fish that are constipated im thinking very small doses 24/7 would be beneficial. I read that in the old days people would use this as plant fertilizer for fish tanks. And that you can mix it with water and put it on the bottom of the soil before you plant tomatos and so forth

It would be interesting to research more :). And maybe talk to anyone that has made up their own buffer solution - one problem or question I'm not sure on is I think bloat can still be an issue for cichlids but the example cichlid buffer recipe I found is lots more than the old PMDD recipe which I use (and then promptly add phosphate to now days).

So I was thinking that anyone that has made up their own cichlid buffer solution might have tested this or noticed anything.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/PMDD.htm

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/healthdisease/119-fish-bloat.html

Back
Top Bottom