my driftwood started floating again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
and my snail was under there. i pushed the driftwood down not knowing the snail was under there. my question is will rocks inside the shell hurt the snail? and will it be able to get it out? one was far enough out that i could just pull it but the other one is a bigger pebble and im worried

Its probably an apple snail, because mine also like to get under the drift wood and shove it up.

I think their training for the world strongman challenge or something :-\

ic the rock is out and its fine now. just the shell is a lil weaker then when it was a week ago. i need some source of calcuim that wont hurt my fish 2 much

Yeah, the snail will get the rocks out of its shell fairly quickly. Mine get sand in their shells a lot, and get it out easily enough.

I'm not sure what snail shells are made out of. Calcium is def. a component, but I think Iodine may be also. Perhaps try putting a "trace" mix in the aquarium. Seachem make the trace solution I use for plants.

I'm not, however, entirely sure how you're diagnosing this shell weakness...

because imo a weak shell can be seen through. in the strong parts theres light yellow and in the weak parts its a purplish color. because inside light cant get through and u can kinda see through the shell. plus the edges arent even where the snail comes out and i want that to heal up a lil

The hardness of the shells is somehow tied into the hardness or alkalinity of your water. My cold is hindering my ability to think clearly now. I think that snails use calcium to build their shells, and they extract it out of the water somehow. I don't know if this is affected by the hardness (gh) or alkalinity (kh) of the water.

I think an acidic ph (~6.5) will also cause the shells to weaken - you'll start seeing holes in the shells. I'm not sure how this is related to hardness and alkalinity affect.

Is the snail itself purple - so where the shell is clear its "skin" is showing through, so to speak?

I don't have a source to point you to for this.

the shell is yellow and the inside is a pinkish with a lil yellow spots. ya kno when u can see through something but not enough for light to get in. theres dark spots where the shell is weak because if it werent weak in those areas then you couldnt see inside it (kinda) my ph is like 7.6 right now and hardness is about 105 ppm (gh)

the shell is yellow and the inside is a pinkish with a lil yellow spots. ya kno when u can see through something but not enough for light to get in. theres dark spots where the shell is weak because if it werent weak in those areas then you couldnt see inside it (kinda) my ph is like 7.6 right now and hardness is about 105 ppm (gh)

Back
Top Bottom