My Dwarf Gourami attempted suicide today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemokeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to take a water sample this morning, so I slid the glass cover open about 1.5 inches and turned to get something and I heard this little thud sound on my rug at my feet, and there to my surprise was the Gourami.
Is this very common? I have the water level about 1 inch below the glass top. I also had not fed the little guys yet.

Not terribly unusual; could be a sign of probs with water parameters, could simply be an overenthusiastic fish *grin*

I'd double check your water parameters to be sure, but I think its likely an excited gourami.

Common enough. Not usually with gouramis, but very often with other fish (prime examples are reed fish, eels).

This could just be a random event, but check your water for the presence of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. If you have these in the water, your gourami might have been trying to get out of water because the ammonia was burning his gills. I had this happen to me when I was a newb :( .

Back
Top Bottom