my female cherry barbs chase each other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barberball90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi i have two female cherry barbs one that hasnt been very well due to high nitrite which has been sorted now the healthy female barb chases the unwell female cherry barb around the tank is this normal behaviour or will i need to change something to stop this problem please reply asap as this is not helping the unwell barb it seems to cause alot of stress any help i will be really grateful many thanks
liam

Cherry barbs are known to be hardy fish so your water quality must have been really bad. You should keep up with the partial water changes weekly, maybe even more if your not cycled yet. What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) readings? What size tank and other fish?

My Cherries chased each other around all the time. It never led to any deaths and it looked more playful than anything. However, if your female cherry is really sick and dying, they could pick on her because they sense the weakness. It's not just cherries, but a lot of fish will harass fish that are about to die, and then pick and eat them. It's like the nature's law of survival of the fittest.

If you have another tank, you can use it as a quarantine / hospital tank. Otherwise, i don't know what to tell you other than let nature be nature and to be a little more diligent in your tank maintenance to prevent dangerous levels of ammonia and nitrites getting out of control in the future.

thanks all my nitrites and nitrates are fine now its just my female cherry is chased by the other cherry but they dont seem to nip on each other it just looks like its harassing the female

Back
Top Bottom