My female mollies are fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lyds001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few concerns about my two female Black Mollies I have in my 135 litre tank, I’ve been treating them for white spot and so have been keeping them both in a mini 12 litre quarantine tank for a week. I have just put them back in the main tank this morning. While they were in the small tank the one with the least number of spot had become quite aggressive towards the other one with a more severe case. I tried moving the minimal decor I had in there around to try and disorientated her but she still kept nipping, poking and chasing. I thought that it was because they were in a much smaller tank than they had previously been in so they were a bit confined. When I put them back into the main tank a HUGE fight broke out between them and they were nipping and chasing eachother, smacking eachother around the tank and onto the glass. I don’t know how to stop the aggression and I can’t put on of them back in the quarantine tank as there is a different Dalmation Molly in there who is about to give birth! What do I do about the Black Mollies. I don’t want them to end up severely hurting eachother or even killing eachother!!

Attachments

• DDC5C674-6FCB-4EF5-98EC-035E1BE5A5AF.jpg
    DDC5C674-6FCB-4EF5-98EC-035E1BE5A5AF.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 155
Hello Lyds...

Heavily plant the surface of the tank. Floating plants will create hiding places for the bullied fish and heavily planted tanks help make the fish feel more comfortable. Also, Mollies do best with a trace of standard aquarium salt added to their tank water. It also has a calming affect on them. A teaspoon in every 5 gallons of replacement water is enough. This amount won't affect the plants. Hornwort, Anacharis, Water sprite and Pennywort are all fast growing floating plants. They'll definitely help with the problem.

B

I also have 10 tetra, 3 gouramis, 2 guppies and 2 rams as well as a pleco, 3 loaches and 6 shrimp oh and 2 snails. Will the salt be good for all these animals or not?

Could try floating one at a time in a container for a day each. Float one over night, then let that one back in the tank and then do the same with the other one. Personally I'd start with the one who started it. Just try to find something clear. If that don't work, try it again but for 2 days. They might get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom