My filter is making humming/buzzing noises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently did a water change and my filter began to make a humming/buzzing noise. It has never done this before and it is worrying me a little bit. I have a Penguin 100B Filter.

It may be that you bumped the filter while you were doing the water change. The guard that holds the impeller in place is plastic and is easily moved. That piece may be getting hit by the impeller. I would take the filter apart and clean it. When you put it back together again, make sure the impeller is seated prpoerly in the hole and that the plastic guard that holds it is seated correctly. I've always had to prime mine after emptying it to get it to pump water again.

No_Floaters said:
It may be that you bumped the filter while you were doing the water change. The guard that holds the impeller in place is plastic and is easily moved. That piece may be getting hit by the impeller. I would take the filter apart and clean it. When you put it back together again, make sure the impeller is seated prpoerly in the hole and that the plastic guard that holds it is seated correctly. I've always had to prime mine after emptying it to get it to pump water again.
I took the filter apart and reseated the impeller. The buzzing/humming noise went away. Thank you! :D

Back
Top Bottom