My first aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaxBeach120

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I am new to fish tanks and I just got my first one. it is a 120 gallon with 2 medium Oscars, 1 Pink Parrot and 2 small Blood Parrots. I have 2 Tetra 30-60g filters. The water is somewhat cloudy. Any tips on maintenance and keeping it clean would be helpful.

ForumRunner_20121017_142956.jpg

Any suggestions in general would also be helpful. Thanks!

Welcome to AA glad you found us here :) .. two 30-60s won't be enough for that tank. You will want about double that amount of filtration and your pretty heavily stocked having all them large boddied cichlids.

Your first tank is a 120?! Well I'm jealous.

I would suggest getting two marineland emperor 400s for your filters, or invest in a good canister

Also how long has your tank been setup?

If this is new and uncycled then you will need a liquid testing kit to test for Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate and pH.

Jon

I'd say, 2 AC110's or 1 AC110 and a canister would work well. You have a heavy bio load there.

Put it this way, I run a AC110 and a Fluval fx5 on my 75 gallon African Cichlid tank.

The tank has been setup for about a month. Thank you for all input. Please keep it coming! I am planning on adding some more fish. Any suggestions?

JaxBeach120 said:
The tank has been setup for about a month. Thank you for all input. Please keep it coming! I am planning on adding some more fish. Any suggestions?

If it has been running a month it may not be cycled.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle in aquariums?

Jon

Buy a test kit

But an FX5

Wait for the cycle to finish

Buy some bottom dwellers like pleco/s or clown loaches but do your research first

:)

2 month update pics

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0_2.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0_2.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 54
  • imagejpeg_0_4.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0_4.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 57
  • imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    imagejpeg_0.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 47