My First Casualty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, you'd think it would have been from the parasites. Or maybe the fungus that showed up after that. Or from a broken tank. Or maybe even having to go through several mini-cycles after the broken tank.

Nope.

My first casualty, after all of that, is my big, beautifully colored and nearly flawless male specimen of Golden Wonder Killifish. He decided, that after going through all of that, that he'd end the journey by taking a flying leap onto the kitchen floor while I was asleep.

To him; What the heck, man?

At least his females seem happy to not be a target for abuse any more. :rolleyes:
It's a shame that his gals aren't as colorful or good looking as he was. If they were, I wouldn't bother to get another male, but he was just so colorful compared to them, as they tend to be. Oh well, new Killi incoming in a few weeks once my quarantine tank is clear.

fish suicide sucks..i've had fish do that...its like what were you thinking?

sorry!

for me..i have always had lids on my tank..except for the starter goldfish bowl..lol..and i've had a fish suicide twice

crazy, I dont mean to be ignorant, but how with the lid on? or are they doing it when you open it up?

well opening for the filter or heater..a fish can easy escape from

I guess, but it give new meaning to fish suicide, becuase its like they would have to AIM for that opening its not THAT big.

seriously? that would imply that you know every fish tanks opening and know how big or small it is...its not like i would lie about something like this would be dumb...my apologies for posting my experience here

seriously? that would imply that you know every fish tanks opening and know how big or small it is...its not like i would lie about something like this would be dumb...my apologies for posting my experience here

Im sorry if I didnt word my post corrrectly im not at all doubting YOU im amazed that the fish would/could do that!!! I dont doubt your experience at all, thats what this site is for!

I think fish are a lot more observant than people give them credit for. The killie in question was no more than 1/3rd of an inch wide, probably less, which was narrow enough to make it through the gaps around the multiple filter outputs.

In the very distant past (before I exited the hobby), I had a ~4" Jack Dempsey that managed to squeeze through a small slot in my lid with a jump. My Oscar used to spit water at me through that same small gap.

What baffles me even more about this case of it is that I had most of the surface of the tank covered with several varieties of floating plants, and also had coverage from plants that had broken the waters surface and grown sideways against the lid. So he must have really wanted to get out to manage such a jump with plants impeding him as well.

When I replace him eventually I think I'll build some sort of screen covering that will fit underneath the lid to obscure the filter outputs. Either way, I doubt this will be the last time it happens, especially if I end up with some renowned escape artist species!

Back
Top Bottom