My first community tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigougit

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks to all of your help I think I've finneshed selecting fish for my first community tank and will be going to my LFS tomorrow :D

Fishies:
5-6 Leopard cories
a pair of pearl gouramis
8-10 rummy-nosed tetras
6-8 harlequin rasboras
1 Ram Cichlid

I am a little worried that my tank might have too much waterflow for a ram (something I read on a site) and do rams eat tubafex worms?

Rams should be fine in some current. I have current in my 29G and the Bolivians are doing just fine. As for Tubiflex, should be fine. Mine love bloodworms.

well, all I have right now is flake food and if its going to need expensive food all to itself then I have to wait till i get a job x.x

What size tank is it? Thats a good stocking list...hopefully its atleast 29g. :D

My ram loves frozen bloodworms. They aren't that expensive (maybe $5-6) and will last a few months. Most of your fish should like them...mine do!

The tubifex cubes are messy IMO. The fish don't eat them until the start dissolving and nastying up the water. Some fish like the freeze dried bloodworms...mine will eat them sometimes. They don't sink though.

really? well, I probably need something that'll sink, cause hopefuly the ram will hide out in the fake driftwood cave I have and not bother my other fish like most cichlids
oh, and I have a 55 gallon tank

I know not to add all the fish at the same time! =P I plan on adding the ram after my tank is cycled so that it can claim its home without having to throw anyone else out. One of my cycling fish loves to sleep in there

Bigougit said:
I know not to add all the fish at the same time! =P I plan on adding the ram after my tank is cycled so that it can claim its home without having to throw anyone else out. One of my cycling fish loves to sleep in there
The ram won't throw anyone out, lol. They work great with other community fish. No aggression at all.

I talked to a guy at my pet store for a while and even though that doesn't come highly recommended he did give me some decent advice on what fish to put in my tank first.
so I went ahead and got 7 rasboras and what I'm hoping is a m/f pair of pearl gouramis.

The guy at the store said that a ram should eat flake food so I don't really have to worry about that but i'm a little worried about my gouramis. All they like to do is hide all day and I did some research and thats what they're supposed to do, but they dont even come out to eat. I put sinking tablets in hoping that they might nibble at the dissolved bits but is there anything else I can do, or is this okay behavior?

The rams will eat just about anything, flake, frozen, etc. Mine even like the vegi wafers, they try to steal them away from the plecos, lol.

Mine even like the vegi wafers, they try to steal them away from the plecos, lol.
My Bolivian does that too! I have started putting 2 algae wafers in because she always gets to it before my BN can. He's very shy.

I got new flake food today that all my fish seem to love (but my rasboras love just about anything). I got Tetra Menu and my Gouramis actually came out to eat for the first time ever! And after I did a water change they seem to be allot more active and adventurous

Back
Top Bottom