My first live plants ever...HELP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not know if they are dieing off, any suggestions because I don't know what to do???? Down on bottom of maybe 3 of them I can see really short dark pretty green branch like stems...

Attachments

• 20121017_133618.jpg
    20121017_133618.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20121017_133627.jpg
    20121017_133627.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 50
Looks like some of them are not adjusting well. With my anacharis usually if the leaves start to go translucent then eventually the stem will die off. Often times though it will sprout from a new spot along the stem and continue from there, so it sounds like that's what's happening with yours.

Looks like some of them are not adjusting well. With my anacharis usually if the leaves start to go translucent then eventually the stem will die off. Often times though it will sprout from a new spot along the stem and continue from there, so it sounds like that's what's happening with yours.

So what do I do????

You could just leave them alone and prune out any dead stems. One thing I would do is spread the stems out a bit more so they get more light, this is usually not as much of an issue with a plant like anacharis (low demand) but it also depends on the intensity of the lighting they are under. In general, if you are having growth issues you don't want any plants to be stuck in the shade of another if you can help it.

okay, thanks, I will try spacing them out...When I first got them I asked that question but no one ever replied to me so I just stuck them as I did and hoped they be okay

Those anacharis look like many are dying off.

Live Aquaria recommends more light than usual if it it kept in a warm water tank. In cooler water, they can do with lower light. Maybe the very low light of your tank isn't enough, even for low light plants.

I've always left cuttings of anacharis floating or loosely weighted to the bottom but not buried until they send out really good roots themselves into the water. Then, once rooted thickly I set the roots in the soil, none of the stem. Any time I buried even a bit of the stem from just a cutting, it died. That's my personal experience.

Does it still look like this:

attachment.php

With only two T8s (really the light level of only one as they're in series) and placing your plants at the periphery, you're getting that absolute minimum level of light possible. It's very likely just a lack of light issue.

Does it still look like this:

attachment.php

With only two T8s (really the light level of only one as they're in series) and placing your plants at the periphery, you're getting that absolute minimum level of light possible. It's very likely just a lack of light issue.

Yes the lighting is the same ....I do have another bulb coming tomorrow hopefully it will help

Back
Top Bottom