My first time....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I finally set p my diatom filter for the first time today. Didn't really need to, but I just wanted to figure the thing out, lol. It was a scary moment, lol. But it was so easy, once I got it out together, lol. The one I got is the Vortex XL unit. It seems to be functioning perfectly. Got it primed, charged, and everything. Pretty neat....

It's a filter for getting rid of fine particles. I thought I was going to have to use it to get rid of my greenwater problem, but my ick treatment took care of that, so I never had to use it. But I thought I'd just start it and see if it worked, before my return policy expired, just incase there was an issue with the filter. Works great.

Also, it's not a filter for running all the time. It's just used for times where you want to clear your water. And because it gets rid of particles down to 1 micron, that includes things like ick, and other parasites. So anything that get's sucked into the filter are permanently removed.

Nope, lol. An it's because my water was crystal clear anyways. I was just wanting to make sure it worked properly, and no leaks or damage, before the return policy expired. It's been running an hour now, and no leaks, and great flow. So I'm happy.

Edit:
Here's a pic with it set up:

75g354.jpg

That's really cool Wolf. I'd love to get one, with the onslaught of summer, there are a tone of little bugs on the top of the tank water. Well in the tanks with glass lids that is. They are expensive here mind you.

I've seen ones that hang on the back of your tank like a power filter does, seems easy to use, since theres no hoses, but expensive

Well, after running it 2 hours, my powder went from almost white to a light tan. So it must have taken something out of the tank, lol. :) Now I'm really crystal clear, lol

Lonewolfblue, you said your ick treatment took care of your algae bloom?? If you don't mind, what the heck did you use? I have been a member of the green water club for quite some time with a 30 gal tank. I have finally decided the tank location is the main problem. When I move in 2 months I can address that. In the meantime I got a Magnum 350 to polish water and use for non PWC gravel cleaning. Did pretty good untill I charged it with diatom powder, then ....... 8O . Never seen the water so clear. I have not seen alllllllll the way to the back of the tank (20 in deep) in a long time. LOL Pretty cool. But now that the water is so clear, I am not so happy with the aquascaping. *sigh* It never ends. :D

Wolf used the heat method for treating ich. Turning the heat up slowly to above 86 F. I believe Wolf likes around 89F.

Thanks for the info. Didn't work for me when I had an outbreak with mollies, the algae loved the higher the higher temp. Only thing that has slowed it down is to stop fertilizing, but of course the plants suffered. So I will live with it till the move. lol

Yes, I had the temp up to 89-91 degrees. Within 3 days, the greenwater was 100% gone.....

Above 89 degrees, the algae in my tank was on a decline, but when I lowered it to 87 degrees, all the other algae started coming back. But no greenwater, as I thing it's all dead. :)

Thanks again. Don't know if I am brave enough to try over going over 90 degrees. I can live with water polishing till Aug. I believe tank location is the real culprit. But I need some light in the room for the terrestrial plants. I will plan better next location.

Tropic fishman, I have the hang-on-back diatom filter, the System I Pressure Filter. You can often find them secondhand at Ebay.

I had to replace an intake tube on it, because it kept falling off, but I found that a couple of extra parts that came with my Rena XP3 (2 pieces of more rigid plastic intake tubing I didn't need) fit exactly and do the job just fine.

No priming and very convenient.

Lonewolfblue, that is a gorgeous tank.

Back
Top Bottom