My Fish are Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't think there was a reason to? I know lots of people who just keep water in buckets. They fill them up right after the water cycling, and then the next time they take water out they just fill it up with that water.

I didn't think there was a reason to? I know lots of people who just keep water in buckets. They fill them up right after the water cycling, and then the next time they take water out they just fill it up with that water.

I used to keep treated water in gallon jugs for days before using it. Tap water is treated with chlorine to kill the microbes that cause many diseases in humans. The chlorine is toxic to fish. You need dechlorinator to remove it.

I used to keep treated water in gallon jugs for days before using it. Tap water is treated with chlorine to kill the microbes that cause many diseases in humans. The chlorine is toxic to fish. You need dechlorinator to remove it.

Chlorine evaporates...

By leaving it out it would eliminate the reason for a dechlorinator (spelling lol)

However. I would still recommend using some sort of stress coat for the benefit of the fish. I to leave a 5 gallon bucket out but I put an air stone in it to cycle the water and help the chlorine evap.. But I leave it out for about a week.

Water can contain chlorine and chloramine. Chlorine evaporates, chloramine doesnt leave water so easy.

Am I right that it still needs dechlorinator? Or am I losing my mind? Wouldn't be the first time. Won't be the last.

Well it depends on your tap water. If it only contains chlorine Leaving water over night with an airstone would be ok. Chloramine doesnt evaporate so why take the risk, i add dechlorinator whatever, you dont really know for sure whats in it. Also most dechlorinators contain a stress coat.

A dechlorinator isn't usually just a dechlorinator, most will help reduce the risk of heavy metals, which don't evaporate, and have some sort of 'zyme' to help with stress.... I'd recommend using something that will at least help with heavy metals and stability.... But I've seen fish survive see atrocious parameters so if it works.... Maybe your water supplier started adding something to their water or something in the pipes... Never know what happened to the 4, but it might not be a bad idea to use something like seachem prime just to help eliminate one more instadeath situation...

A dechlorinator isn't usually just a dechlorinator, most will help reduce the risk of heavy metals, which don't evaporate, and have some sort of 'zyme' to help with stress.... I'd recommend using something that will at least help with heavy metals and stability.... But I've seen fish survive see atrocious parameters so if it works.... Maybe your water supplier started adding something to their water or something in the pipes... Never know what happened to the 4, but it might not be a bad idea to use something like seachem prime just to help eliminate one more instadeath situation...

That's what I thought, but it's not that far fetched to have a moment of me losing my mind. Thought I'd make sure.

So, I should use seachem prime? I fill a 10 gallon pail with water usually and just leave it for a week. I heard that the chlorine evaporates no problem. I'll get back with the water samples tomorrow though.

Nope, your mind was lost when you found the aquarium hobby, lol- just joking, but in seriousness, yes, you can aerate your water for a week for chlorine purposes, I've heard it used more often in saltwater to prep freshwater to then mix and measure. You are just more proactive in understanding the chemistry and ideal observed parameters and can use what you know to help others who are as aquahappy as the rest of us constantly learning :)

So, I should use seachem prime? I fill a 10 gallon pail with water usually and just leave it for a week. I heard that the chlorine evaporates no problem. I'll get back with the water samples tomorrow though.

I would recommend it, as you know, it's not necessarily a requirement of sorts, but a standard practice- small bottle lasts forever not that expensive, especially for the peace of mind

As I stated... I'd still recommend using some sort of Stress Coat of some sort.. Meaning Sony just dump the water that's been sitting out for 24 hours in the tank lol.

Nope, your mind was lost when you found the aquarium hobby, lol- just joking, but in seriousness, yes, you can aerate your water for a week for chlorine purposes, I've heard it used more often in saltwater to prep freshwater to then mix and measure. You are just more proactive in understanding the chemistry and ideal observed parameters and can use what you know to help others who are as aquahappy as the rest of us constantly learning :)

I knew this hobby was making me crazy!! Lol.

I'm Confused

I'm getting mixed signals here... One of you said leaving the water out evaporates the chlorine, and is good for the fish I believe. But another one of you said that I should use seachem instead? I'm sure it would be safer but am just wondering what it does that makes it better than leaving the water out.

I'm getting mixed signals here... One of you said leaving the water out evaporates the chlorine, and is good for the fish I believe. But another one of you said that I should use seachem instead? I'm sure it would be safer but am just wondering what it does that makes it better than leaving the water out.

Stress coat, removes any hard metals, detoxifies everything for a while.

A dechlorinator makes the water safer in the ways mentioned, chloramine that doesnt evap. It binds metal and adds stress coat that naturally coats the fishs gill and bodies. Seachem is just one of many that will get the job done.

Fertilizer

Could my Flourish Fertilizer be a problem as well? I put one capful in once a week.

YES. Ferts without stabilized metals can cause many different unhealthy combinations. Step back one step and definitely use a water conditioner and I know the jury is still out on stabilizers, but I love them for my freshwater tanks (from experience they aren't worth it in saltwater). I have several that I use for conditioners- Seachem Prime, API super strength dechloronator/ heavy metal remover, API Stress Coat or zyme+. I think the most commonly used is Prime simply because it helps with binding ammonia as well....

Do you know absolutely if your tap has chlorine and not chloramine? Do you know the amounts? Do you know the amounts of heavy metals or other possible things that may be in your water such as ammonia or nitrite or nitrate? Do you realize your water company may switch from chlorine to chloramine and you will not know? Sounds like a lot of stuff here but all of these issues can be easily avoided with a good water conditioner. It will also allow you to do water changes instantly rather than waiting on buckets for sitting for days.

Invest in some Prime and you will be able to rule out some possible fish issues, including some you may already have and save yourself a lot of hassle. Your water parameters will also help to figure out what's going on as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom