My fish do NOT like thunderstorms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
We had a thunderstorm the other day and I look over at my fish tanks and, my mollies more than anyone else, were freaking out and staying very close to the bottom and having like spasm fits whenever there was a loud crack of thunder or something and some even hid in the castle. My bettas paid no mind to it but my blue gourami had spasm attacks too 8O

Well, animals in general are very sensitive to weather changes, so I guess they were doing what "came natural" and going low and looking for cover are good ways to stay out of strong currents I guess. I would imagine the bettas did little because all the "wildness" has been bread out of them - but who knows :)

My Ghost Catfish would have probably loved the storm and felt right at home.

When I had a kitten over 10 years ago, there was this nasty thunder and lightning storm, and he was terrified.

mine are trained for them now lol, I had my first 10 gallon in my band's room with a PA system that pushed around 8500 watts on 8 15's, very loud, so I moved them into my room wirth my custom stereo I put together, its 850 watts with 4 15's and two jenson 10's sealed in a plexi glass box on the sub channel, thye don't mind it at all really

They have no problem with loud noises....it was just that thunderstorm and I've had 2 mollies that I've had for almost 2 years now and they were even freaking out... My fishies are just plain weirdos x3

I wonder if fish can sense things in the atmosphere that wouldn't effect something liek a human, such as atmospheric pressures, storms moving in, rain, etc.

tropicfishman said:
I wonder if fish can sense things in the atmosphere that wouldn't effect something liek a human, such as atmospheric pressures, storms moving in, rain, etc.
I think some fish can sense pressure change. I had a brown eel once, and someone told me that they can predict the weather.

Back
Top Bottom