My Fish had Babies. Now What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I had my first batch of fry ever delivered yesterday. Both of my female platys gave birth yesterday. One in and one not in the breeder thing. So I have 16 fry in the breeder and who knows how many hiding in my tank. I'm inexperienced with babys so any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image-351824981.jpg
    image-351824981.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3888300484.jpg
    image-3888300484.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image-857679598.jpg
    image-857679598.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 89
I feed mine a mixture of-
1 tablespoon hiker first bites
1 teaspoon crushed flakes
1 algae wafer
1 teaspoon freeze dried crushed bloodworms
1 teaspoon freeze died crushed brine shrimp
Mix it all together in a ziploc baggy
Use a wet toothpick to feed with
Add a small plastic plant in the net so the feel more protected

i just let nature run it's course in my cichlid tank. many a fry have grown up so far.currently have about 30 assorted sizes that have made the cut. if you are breeding to sell, i say start a grow out tank. if not just let things run there course

Pckerfreak44 said:
A full size algae wafer? Because I have those and I was wondering if they would eat that when it breaks down?

No, take a rolling pin and crush it
My fry grow super fast on that mix

The food won't go through the sides of the trap if you put it directly in the trap
Feds the other fish often to save any fry still in the tank
To find fry turn of the lights for thirty mins then turn them back on quickly
But have a net ready!

I've had a little experience with fry. We've found a few here and there, not have made it except our 2 month old we have now. He held his own in the big tank thanks goodness and managed to escape the rest of the platies and other fish who tried to go after him. All we did with him was every time we would feed the other guys(keep them distracted), we would crush up alot of flake food very very fine and make sure it went into the plants ontop where he was hiding so he could eat. We also fed him at night when the lights were out so the others couldnt see.
Theyre suppose to eat a few times a day so Ive heard.

Back
Top Bottom