Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
My fish hang around the heater... cold?

Every once and a while I'll see my fish just rest right up against the heater or just next to it and they'll like crowd around it like it's a campfire... does anyone know of a specific reason for this? My tank is 80F so I doubt they're cold but I could be wrong. They only hang around it for a few minutes then go back to whatever they're doing and then go back later.

Old 04-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to PsiPro Send a message via MSN to PsiPro
This the tank in your sig? Bettas are known for liking to wrap themselves around things such as filter intakes and heaters. If they are cold they would hang there more, and 80F isn't cold at all.

Mabey they talk to it, and mabey it talks back?

Old 04-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #3

My fish did that and I finally figured out why they did that. i had my heater right next to my thermometer..a no no IMO. My heater was too small for my aquarium. I got the heater with the tank when I bought it so I didn't know.

Check your heater to see if it is the right size in the aquarium.

Do your fish only swim on one side of the tank? If so this might be the problem.

HTH.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
My mollies are the ones doing it the most. My female betta sits by it but my male could care less lol My big steel blue gourami is doing it too
Old 04-02-2006, 04:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Puriti, just wondering...Where is the thermometer in relation to your heater? It may be that the 80F is only in a particular area, and other areas are cooler...or it may be that your fish have a new inanimate friend.

Maybe you could move your thermometer and see if the temp is different?

6g Marineland Eclipse (8w T-5):
- anacharis, asian ambulia, java moss
- white cloud mountain minnows (10 = 6-7 inches total)
noncentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The thermometer is on the far left and the heater used to be on the right but then I moved it to the middle and before I moved it to the middle it was still like... mid-low 70s
Old 04-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to woodsplace1
my mollies do the same thing, I wonder if they like the light or the glow of the heater? I have my heater in the far right and thermometer in the far left so to make sure I am getting an overall tank measurement of heat. My pregger molly seems to like it better warmer, she chills out there closer to night time, wonder if they think it is a fish of some kind...I always wonder what is going on in their little heads?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Maybe it's like the water cooler at some offices, the place to gossip and hang out.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz
Maybe it's like the water cooler at some offices, the place to gossip and hang out.
Lmao Zagz xD

My pregnant females are really the ones doing it...maybe it's because their pregnant and the heat gives them more comfort? I mean..if you had 30 babies in your stomach squirming every now and then you might want a heating pad too now if my blue gourami is female that might make more sense even though Reef doesn't have a mate but maybe eggs hurt? X3 lol

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com