My fish hang around the heater... cold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Every once and a while I'll see my fish just rest right up against the heater or just next to it and they'll like crowd around it like it's a campfire... does anyone know of a specific reason for this? My tank is 80F so I doubt they're cold but I could be wrong. They only hang around it for a few minutes then go back to whatever they're doing and then go back later.

This the tank in your sig? Bettas are known for liking to wrap themselves around things such as filter intakes and heaters. If they are cold they would hang there more, and 80F isn't cold at all.

Mabey they talk to it, and mabey it talks back?

My fish did that and I finally figured out why they did that. i had my heater right next to my thermometer..a no no IMO. My heater was too small for my aquarium. I got the heater with the tank when I bought it so I didn't know.

Check your heater to see if it is the right size in the aquarium.

Do your fish only swim on one side of the tank? If so this might be the problem.

HTH.

My mollies are the ones doing it the most. My female betta sits by it but my male could care less lol My big steel blue gourami is doing it too

Hi Puriti, just wondering...Where is the thermometer in relation to your heater? It may be that the 80F is only in a particular area, and other areas are cooler...or it may be that your fish have a new inanimate friend. ;)

Maybe you could move your thermometer and see if the temp is different?

The thermometer is on the far left and the heater used to be on the right but then I moved it to the middle and before I moved it to the middle it was still like... mid-low 70s

my mollies do the same thing, I wonder if they like the light or the glow of the heater? I have my heater in the far right and thermometer in the far left so to make sure I am getting an overall tank measurement of heat. My pregger molly seems to like it better warmer, she chills out there closer to night time, wonder if they think it is a fish of some kind...I always wonder what is going on in their little heads?

Zagz said:
Maybe it's like the water cooler at some offices, the place to gossip and hang out. :mrgreen:

Lmao Zagz xD

My pregnant females are really the ones doing it...maybe it's because their pregnant and the heat gives them more comfort? I mean..if you had 30 babies in your stomach squirming every now and then you might want a heating pad too :lol: now if my blue gourami is female that might make more sense even though Reef doesn't have a mate but maybe eggs hurt? X3 lol

Back
Top Bottom