My fish hate tubifex worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought them as a treat, but the fish just ignore them.

Right now they are eating just flake food (plain old tropical fish mixture, and a mixture that claims to be for bettas). I guess I should look into brine shrimp, maybe? Something alive?

Try frozen bloodworms; I have yet to find a fish which refuses it :) My guys also aren't interested in tubifex; both freezedried and frozen, but frozen bloodworms cause a feeding frenzy in ALL my tanks.

My guys didn't like them at first, either.

However with patience they learned that it WAS food and that it WAS good.

Now I have a bala shark that eats ENTIRE cubes of tubifex in a single gulp, also.. my mollies and female Betta play tug-o-war with the cubes.

fearlessfisch said:
mmmm..bloodworms. sounds delicious.
they are! try it on a salad... :p

i had the similar situation...my fish ignored the tubifex worms, but they go nuts for bloodworms

i need to pick up some zucchini from the store, but i don't know if i'll be able to get it...i thought it was more of a seasonal thing. any suggestions for a large pleco?

Are you talking about tubibex worms or black worms? Live tubifex can be really nasty. The potential for bringing unwanted parasites in just isn't worth it IMO. I feed lots of live black worms to discus. They never last in the tank for more than 3 minutes. The fish just love em :)

If you can't get zuchini Mr Burns, the stem of a broccoli sliced nice and thin is just as good if not better.

Wow, what a trip! other than my puffers, Everybody loves the 'ol freeze-dried tubifex. (even my dumb dog ate some)

Generally i soak a cube of them in a cup of tank water until they are re-hydrated, then break up the cube and put them in the tank.

Mr. Burns, Romaine lettuce is also Excellent for veggie eaters like plecos.

That the same dog that goes ice swimming corvu? *grin* Maybe you should sign it up for the Polar Bear club.

You do need to presoak Wardley's Tubifex worms..

I've found, however, that Hikari Tubifex is so nice and soft right out of the jar that my fish can easily devour it without any need for presoaking.

BrianNY said:
If you can't get zuchini Mr Burns, the stem of a broccoli sliced nice and thin is just as good if not better.
broccoli i can do right now...there's a massive head of it in the fridge right now

Also squash and cucumbers with the seeds removed usually go over well :)

Well, I got the bloodworms, and it was a happy party in there. It's nice to see them appreciate it so much. :mrgreen:

The only problem was that I overestimated how much to put in....It didn't look like much at all, but I am just about to go scoop out what is left.

btw...the tubifex worms were the freeze-dried kind. Good to know about potential parasites in fresh ones. I don't know....There's something June Cleaver about me that makes frozen, prepared food seem more attractive anyway. :?

Thanks again for all the input. My fish are fat and happy now. :p
fearlessfisch

Urg... can you blame them? Tubifex are bland-looking and gray; the individual worms are scarecely visible. Yuk! My fish barely touch them, and tend to stop eating them after 10 seconds or so. I've had much better success with black worms...

Its funny to see all the personalities of fish.

Some peoples fish treat Tubifex like the plauge, and others like me.. Tubifex is the fishes favourite treat.

LMAO.

Back
Top Bottom