Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation my fish is laying in the rocks

Help!
my fish Jack (leopard guppy) is laying in the rocks he's breathing and moving his front fins a little i don't know whats wrong with him he lives with comet (gold fish) who might have attacked him but i don't know
they live in a 1 gallon tank with a fake plant

thanks, Josie <3

Old 11-12-2019, 01:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your tank is too small for 2 fish, its not really the right size for anything other than a temporary holding area.
Your fish require 2 different water temperatures, goldfish like cool water, guppys prefer warm water.
You have no filter and therefore no beneficial bacteria to provide *safe* water for the fish to live in and unless you are changing out most of the water every other day they are living in their own waste.
Unfortunately the guppy because it's a smaller fish is showing the effects of this living situation faster.
First do a 50% water change with similar temperature water and dechlorinater.
Buy them a 5 gal tank, filter and heater. The gold fish will need a 20g to himself by the time he is full grown.
READ about a fish in cycle and do it.
ASK the people here anything you are unsure about, there's A LOT of misinformation out there both on the web and even from store employees. Most people here have been keeping fish a few years so can help from personal experience.
That's a start.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie sell View Post
Help!
my fish Jack (leopard guppy) is laying in the rocks he's breathing and moving his front fins a little i don't know whats wrong with him he lives with comet (gold fish) who might have attacked him but i don't know
they live in a 1 gallon tank with a fake plant

thanks, Josie <3
Hello, a comet goldfish can grow to 12"+ & min tank sz varies from site to site some say 40-50gal min. They will not last long in a bowl or tiny tank. Not enough water volume for oxygen & toxins will build up to quickly. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Tags
fish, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com