My fish tank stinks! What do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon. It's not over populated I have 1 bp, 2 gouramis, 3 tiger barbs, and an oto. it smells like algae. It's horrible! I do very frequent water changes but it always smells. Am I putting too many algae wafers?

What are your readings?

How often do you gravel vac? How large water changes?

Filter working properly?

Your tank should not smell.

Gboy66 said:
Try adding carbon and purigen(i think thats it?) to the filter

+1... Also think about getting 2 or more barbs to finish off that school

Adding carbon and/or Purigen will not fix the problem. It may remove some of the odors but the issue that is causing the odors will not have been addressed. Please answer LyndaB's questions. Also, when was the last time you cleaned the filter? I don't mean the media, you should be swishing that in your old water when you PWC. I mean taken the filter apart and cleaned it?

Answer Lynda B's question. Beside dis if u hav real algae in ur tank from which it smells out I will say wipe ur tank glass once in a week wid spunge.can add some bottom dwellers and sucker catfish who can help u out keeping ur tank clean

sayan said:
Answer Lynda B's question. Beside dis if u hav real algae in ur tank from which it smells out I will say wipe ur tank glass once in a week wid spunge.can add some bottom dwellers and sucker catfish who can help u out keeping ur tank clean

Even with algae, it shouldnt smell. At all.

Do you have any plants in the tank? Some plants like aponogetons grow from a bulb that produces a sulfur smell to it as they rot. It is more likely the result of improper tank maintenance however and we will be needing your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings before being able to asses the situation more clearly.

Also, I agree with the others that it may be as simple as cleaning the filter/filter housing.

Back
Top Bottom