My Fish's Color Got Dull!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Boesemani Rainbow got really dull these last few days. I don't know why! He is active and eating normally, the color just isn't right. Also, he has a couple minor ripped fins, could these heal?

Welcome to AA!

The fins should heal on their own in time, just make sure to keep your water changes in check (Good water helps speed the growth of the torn fins!)

Did you just get the Rainbow recently (If so, he/she should heal up soon)? Really, the secret to good colors is to buy quality specimens, feed a varied diet, and above all keep up with frequent water changes and maintenance

Yeah, I just got him. He looked great in the dealer tank but the guy had a hard time getting him in the bag and I didn't really look at him closely after that.

The dorsal fin is a little ripped up too, would that heal?

Yeah, It will take a few days for him to get used to his environment and color up. Do you have any other Boesemani Rainbows? If not, just to let you know, they are a schooling fish.

Like I said, the fins should heal on their own in time, just make sure to keep your water changes in check (Including the dorsal fin).

Also fish will lose there color when they are stressed. Not being able to school or the transport of him may have stressed him.

ya most pet stores have lights that make the fish look more colourfull then when they are in your tank but he is probably stressed out almost all fish get pale when they are stressed.. his fins will grow back and as long as he is eating i wouldnt worry about anything but if you want his colour to realy pop feed frozen blood worm or brine shrimp and in a week or so all the fish in your tank will be alot more colour full

I just have one rainbow... I was planning on getting a couple more soon.

Wow, he's looking better by the day! He's getting his color back lite by little.

Back
Top Bottom