My Flying fox took a suicide pill!!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Husmut

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can any one shed light on this for me? My flyingfox was healthy as all get up....hour later, he was dead. I watched it, he literally just stoped living! I have just added Co2 and he ate all the algae about 3 days ago and it did not grow back, so I jokingly thought he had taken "the" pill! :? Strange I know, and more than likely unrelated, but why did it happen?

ammonia? maybe when you got it it could of been sick? or have you had it for awhile... swallowed something poisonous? or something.. im not sure

I've read that CO2 in large doses put fish to sleep. I think it's a euthanasia method for sick fish. People put their sick fish in with alka-seltzer tablets and the resulting CO2 puts them down.

Did you add more CO2 than normal? Was there a lot of CO2 already in the water...or not enough O2?

Ive only heard bad things about the CO2 tablets.. You would be better off using DIY or pressurized system.. There has been some questions in the not so distant past that made the CO2 pills seemed to had caused bad PH swings and or CO2 poisoning killing off fish.. :x :x

No no no! I dont use Co2 tabs, I use a DIY system (and an indicator) but, in a 90gal tank! If anyone out there can tell me how to get Co2 to lethal levels using DIY in a 90 gal, I would love to hear about it! I have enough trouble keeping the levels at less than adequate using ten litres of yeast brew and a reactor.( Yes Greenmagi, Im that one!) :D
I've read that CO2 in large doses put fish to sleep. I think it's a euthanasia method for sick fish. People put their sick fish in with alka-seltzer tablets and the resulting CO2 puts them down.

My fish was hanging out on the outlet to the reactor for about a day. I would not of thought it possible, but yes Aqua Joe, enough Co2 will kill any animal, and I wonder if there would be enough there.. :?: ..Maybe it was suicide 8O . there was no algae left anyway, what did he have to live for?

Maybe he starved to death? I highly doubt there was no algae in the aquarium what so ever. It may have looked that way to you as the fish was likely eating it as it grew. My pleco eats all of the algae in my tank even when his diet is more then supplemented.

Joe

The algae/suicide bit...was.....a..joke.... :roll: But his choice to hang where he did for a day I am more than willing to accept as his demise.

Back
Top Bottom