My GBRs Acting Hilarious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll try to get a video of this later because it is so funny, but I just wanted to share a story about my fish.

I have two male GBR's in my 25gal and every time I vacuum the gravel in my tank they start attacking the vacuum! It's only in one area of the tank that they hang out in a lot. Whenever I try to clean the gravel there, they sort of hover side by side to block my path and if I try to move past them they start throwing themselves at the vacuum and/or trying to bite it. It is so funny to me! They are so mellow usually so it's really random that they are aggressive toward an inanimate object. These fish have so much personality I'm so glad I got them.

Anyone else have similar stories?

I had some geophagus that were like that, which was amusing and ironic since they were the sweetest and least aggressive cichlids I've ever had. Absolutely peachy to every other fish in the tank but god forbid I try to gravel vacuum and do THEIR job! :lol:

Are you sure they're not a m/f pair and you're vacing the eggs up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is what I thought bit forgot to post it, my jewels do that to when they has fry or eggs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I never thought of that....I don't see any eggs in that area. One is definitely larger than the other. Are there any ways to easily tell the sex?

Females will have pink on there belly, and males have more blue speckles in the black areas.

I had a funny incident with a blue ram. I introduced him to a tank with rams and angels, I was worried he wouldn't make it since it just barely made one inch, well to make a long story short, this little guy terrorized the entire tank! He kept all the other rams in hiding and somehow even the angels started fighting. Had to take him out to restore the peace.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's funny how small fish can have huge personalities!

Also, here are some pics of my GBRs. I'm pretty sure they're both males, neither of them have pink bellies and they're both pretty blue and black. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140907_181706.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140907_181706.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 105
More pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140907_183037.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140907_183037.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 106
  • ForumRunner_20140907_183123.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140907_183123.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20140907_183213.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140907_183213.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 91
Ya I'm thinking one could be female. But close ups will help.

After being around GBRs enough and breeding them, I'm getting to the point where females just look... well feminine.

In the first pic, the front looks male, like a big badboy hah, the back looks to have a faint hint of pink in the belly, like silly said though... just kinda looks girly;)

Well now I feel terrible for laughing at them! After reading online it really looks like the smaller one is female. I still dont

Premature commenting...oops!

I still don't see the pink on her but everything else fits a female. No black rays on the front of the dorsal, rounded fins, etc.

Don't feel to bad, they're usually crappy parents.. you could place a small flat rock or slat in that area too see if they lay there?

Don't feel to bad, they're usually crappy parents.. you could place a small flat rock or slat in that area too see if they lay there?

I'll try to get something flat to put there but it's a pretty small corridor that they've taken over. There is a big water sprite that closes off the area and my kuhli's love to hide in there...do you think kuhlis would eat any eggs if GBRs laid them there?

I'll try to get something flat to put there but it's a pretty small corridor that they've taken over. There is a big water sprite that closes off the area and my kuhli's love to hide in there...do you think kuhlis would eat any eggs if GBRs laid them there?

They'd probably have a go, sounds like your rams don't give them up that easy though..

Back
Top Bottom