My Gourami is acting strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezer40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pair of dwarf gouramis which I got a couple of months back. Two days ago I moved them to a bigger community tank that just has cories and a couple of small plecs (peppermint and a 3 in royal).

The tank has a few floating plants ..well not so much floating as up-rooted :roll: My male gourami has been collecting these plants in his mouth and placing them in one spot of the tank. Is he going through some phase of breeding (bubble nest) or has he totally lost his mind?

you could try putting like some anacheris or java moss in for im :) but i think after she lays the eggs youll have to take the female out

My DG's always do that! That is a good sign of a fish that is comfortable and happy. I will look over and see mine cruising across the tank with a branch of something in his mouth, and sticking it into his bubble nest to bulk it up.

krap101 said:
i think after she lays the eggs youll have to take the female out

I guess its about time I started to do some research about mating gouramis. As yet I don't see any eggs but my male seems more colorful than usual or maybe I am just imagining it :) My female does look rather plump so fingers crossed..baby Gouramis will soon be with us :D

P.S

If anyone has any useful tips then please feel free to share them with me.

i think you have to take the female out when she lays the egg because i think shell be harassed because the male wont let her go near the eggs. she'll get stressed so thats why you have to take her out. after the eggs hatch you have to take the male out or hell eat the eggs. and i think they need shallow water so that they can develop their laberinth organs.

dont quote me on it but i think thats mostly correct.

This is a sign of a very happy fish. Males build bublenests not only when they are ready to guard eggs, but also when they are happy.

The male could also be thinking he is gonna get some from the little missus, but the female may be thinking differently. I know my male blue gourami thinks it all the time, and my female barely gives him the time of day.

Back
Top Bottom