My letter to Petco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
After a long, very bad week at work, my loving husband took me to Petco to get some danios for our river tank. They've been running all the long-fins for $.99 each for a few weeks now. A good buy I think, bring them home, QT, them move them in. We've never left there empty handed until last night.

After walking through their display tanks I was highly upset at what I saw. The last straw was when we walked past their bettas and we saw what had been a beautiful double tailed male, pure white, laying on his side, gasping. We left the store with me almost in tears, empty handed.

I'm a regular customer at your store in Longmont CO, #280. Last night my husband and I went into your store to purchase fish for one of our aquariums and left empty handed, which is something that never happens.

We were appalled at what we saw in the stores display tanks. Fish dead and dying, the tanks filthy, some fish in various stages of disease like fin rot and ich. Bettas dead in their cups or laying on their sides gasping. I understand your company gets fish for cheap and in abundance for quick sale, that they are seen as a commodity, but what we saw last night was heartbreaking. No animal should have to suffer this type of treatment.

Also, on a few occasions we have witnessed your employees selling fish that are either too large for the system the customer maintains (like a common plecostomus in a 5 gallon tank)or selling a new tank with fish at the same time. No education is given on the proper set up of that tank other than add water and add fish. New tanks need to go through the nitrogen cycle before they are safe for inhabitants. We've also seen them selling too many fish for the customers systems, siting the "one inch per gallon" rule, which is a farce.

We maintain 14 tanks in our home. Our smallest is a 3 gallon and our largest a 120 gallon. Two of these tanks are specialty tanks where the water quality must be carefully monitored each day. Yes, we experience an occasional fish loss, but nothing on the scale of what we saw last night.

After a long, very bad week at work, my loving husband took me to Petco to get some danios for our river tank. They've been running all the long-fins for $.99 each for a few weeks now. A good buy I think, bring them home, QT, them move them in. We've never left there empty handed until last night.

After walking through their display tanks I was highly upset at what I saw. The last straw was when we walked past their bettas and we saw what had been a beautiful double tailed male, pure white, laying on his side, gasping. We left the store with me almost in tears, empty handed.

I'm a regular customer at your store in Longmont CO, #280. Last night my husband and I went into your store to purchase fish for one of our aquariums and left empty handed, which is something that never happens.

We were appalled at what we saw in the stores display tanks. Fish dead and dying, the tanks filthy, some fish in various stages of disease like fin rot and ich. Bettas dead in their cups or laying on their sides gasping. I understand your company gets fish for cheap and in abundance for quick sale, that they are seen as a commodity, but what we saw last night was heartbreaking. No animal should have to suffer this type of treatment.

Also, on a few occasions we have witnessed your employees selling fish that are either too large for the system the customer maintains (like a common plecostomus in a 5 gallon tank)or selling a new tank with fish at the same time. No education is given on the proper set up of that tank other than add water and add fish. New tanks need to go through the nitrogen cycle before they are safe for inhabitants. We've also seen them selling too many fish for the customers systems, siting the "one inch per gallon" rule, which is a farce.

We maintain 14 tanks in our home. Our smallest is a 3 gallon and our largest a 120 gallon. Two of these tanks are specialty tanks where the water quality must be carefully monitored each day. Yes, we experience an occasional fish loss, but nothing on the scale of what we saw last night.

One question I have is, why are you saying that the one inch per gallon rule is a farce?? I wouldn't follow it for certain types of fish (common pleco, oscar), but for other types of fish I don't see the issue with it.

One question I have is, why are you saying that the one inch per gallon rule is a farce?? I wouldn't follow it for certain types of fish (common pleco, oscar), but for other types of fish I don't see the issue with it.
Because there are only a few, like 5 or 10, fish that this actually works for.

It's a general guideline, not something to be used for every species. There's more to factor in than size of fish and the size of the tank.

I'd use that rule for the simple fish....for the most part. Which is what Petco sells. Barbs, danios, tetras, etc. More complicated fish like discus, arowana...no.

Well anyway....good luck trying to change Petco.

In contrary to the previous comment, Way to go dragonfish!!!!
Little acts like yours are the seeds to make big changes. Ask to the Arab world today!!

I'd use that rule for the simple fish....for the most part. Which is what Petco sells. Barbs, danios, tetras, etc. More complicated fish like discus, arowana...no.

Well anyway....good luck trying to change Petco.

Not true. Danios are very active fish and need more space when compared to smaller rasboras or tetras. Barbs are more aggressive and are activce swimmers (most cyprinids are) and need larger tanks.

There are always exceptions. What people need to do is stop trying to use blanket rules to explain things to new comers and take the time to say why you can't do certain things.

I don't shop at petco anymore. They get a lot more selection and more interesting fish than petsmart but petsmart in my experience has always had healthier fish.

The petsmart I go to when I don't feel like driving to my usual lfs is owned by the owner of an LFS I went to when I was little.

I saw male bettas in similar condition at my local petco when I went last night to see what they had in stock and to ask if they were hiring.
I left sad and empty handed as well. :(

I feel like I'm on a never-ending cycle of buy- die- exchange with them. Theyve sold me so many fish that die within days it's absurd... I'd blame myself except every single fish I got at the LFS is still alive and swimming... Luckily their exchange policy is pretty easy...

Good letter, the Petcos in Rhode Island are just the same, last time I was there my girlfriend fell in love with a dying goldfish to the point where 'we had to get it', amazingly after a month of quarantine and care it's doing great, but the fact is that Petco was so happy to sell me a half dead fish at full price. Never taking my girlfriend to Petco again!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

My local Petco just tore out their tank array. I figured they might be giving up on selling fish, turns out they're putting in a whole new set up. I never buy fish there because the 2 Black Moors we got died in a couple weeks. Went to a mom & pop lfs got 2 more (moors) and they're now 4+ years old and a big part of our family.

Petco has good prices on supplies and that's their only benefit. The help there is mixed, most will sell 10 fish for a 10 gal tank, one is has some knowledge and will err on the conservative side and the main fish guy once told me that goldfish need 30 gallons each. Sheesh, you gotta wonder.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Petco has good prices on supplies and that's their only benefit. The help there is mixed, most will sell 10 fish for a 10 gal tank, one is has some knowledge and will err on the conservative side and the main fish guy once told me that goldfish need 30 gallons each. Sheesh, you gotta wonder.
Wow... most LFS owners won't even tell you that. That's a big surprise to hear good goldfish advice from any store!

I don't shop at petco anymore. They get a lot more selection and more interesting fish than petsmart but petsmart in my experience has always had healthier fish.

The petsmart I go to when I don't feel like driving to my usual lfs is owned by the owner of an LFS I went to when I was little.

Actually in my area (SoCal) Petsmart has a TON more fish selection than Petco. Their fish are normally all healthy (I know!) and disease free. The tanks are clean, but what astounds me is that the employees (at a few Petsmarts that I've been to) ask questions about your tank and your fish before they catch the fish for you. They won't sell you the fish if its not right for your tank.

Is it a new Petsmart policy to ask that? If so, kudos to them.

Thank you for taking the time to write that letter. More of us need to do this. The betta displays at my petco and my lfs are horrible. I've spoke to employees in petco about it a couple times..it's gotten me and the fish nowhere. My lfs is even worse than my petco..and I find I just don't know how to approach the situation with them..it's hard..I'm a regular ya know..and was before I became a betta fanatic. It's gotten so bad I've even left there empty handed, very upset..twice. I wish I had the balls to speak up! Also I was disgusted today to see a tank full of fiddler crabs crammed together, ripping eachothers legs off, in a bare bottom freshwater tank with no access to land in my local walmart. Makes me sick. Poor crabs..makes it even worse to know most of them are wild caught! Stripped off a sandy shore and thrown in a freakin' walmart tank :(

Hi

I am in the Atlanta area (North suburbs)
I just got back in the hobby and we have so many petco's and petsmart around me that I visited a bunch. The petsmart are great so far, poor advice given to customers (I always keep an ear out when customers ask questions.) but the tanks are clean and fish healthy.
But ho my god the petco's are a disaster, I saw an oscar that was so thin and looked so beat up it probably had 2 days to live, I saw mistmatched cichlids being in the same tanks with some gasping heavily in a tiny corner of a tank trying to stay away from the bullies. The feeder tanks are death tanks. The saltwater section is very expensive with dying starfish, beat up damsels and so on....
I will use Petco only for emergencies for anything if I need to (So basically never), I will not support such animal abuse.
The closest to my home and work are petsmarts so that's a good thing.

Patrick

Once I was at petland because petco was out of ghost shrimp and I knew petland always has them. Anyways, there was a young couple next to me and I heard them tell the employee about their 5 gal. Tank with a betta. I was happy to hear it wasnt a .5 gal, but what I heard next shocked me enough to speak up. The woman asked for a companion for the betta, and started looking at the ACF's. The employee said it would work great in the tank!!!!! I was literally shocked! The employee left to get a net and I quickly went up to the couple. I told them that ACF's get as big as your hand/fist, and are SEVERALLY aggressive. I told them to get with an ADF and talk to the employee. I them walked over to him and saw him sell a person a 2 gal. With a baby calico goldfish! He said it would get 1 inch big, I intervened and said, "no they don't, they can get 6 inches or longer, they need a 30 gal. The employee was pissed because I stopped 2 horrible sales in one day.

Oh yeah it would definitely fit in a 5 gal and not eat the betta...........not! It was only 1inch when they were going to buy it

Back
Top Bottom