My LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexjdavis19

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just went to a new store to check out some fish (I live in Rochester, NY) because there is only a Petco and a PetSmart near me. The new place, Pet World, was huge! There were tons of interesting fish and the person helping me really knew what he was doing.

Now to get to the reason of this post, I was getting neon tetras and there were two kinds they had. The first was labeled "Florida Neon Tetras", and the other was "Domestic Neon Tetras." I asked what it meant and the associate just said he only knew they came from different places and he assumed the domestic fish were tank raised nearby. The most interesting part was that the Florida Tetras were huge! At least twice the size of the domestic ones and the ones I already got at Petco a while ago. Just thought this would interest some!

Well I think that the Florida ones were raised with love and care while the petco ones were raised like they were just a fish that could be replaced. If you like that LFS then hold onto them and never let go, it took me a few years to find my lfs while I could have been finding it years ago because I was googling it wrong.:facepalm:

Well I did end up getting the domestic fish because I was nervous about how the large Florida ones would interact with my still juvenile tetras already in the tank. I also wasn't sure how old they were and didn't want to get an adult fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is possible that the FL ones were actually Cardinal Tetras.

The weird thing was they had separate Cardinal Tetras already and they were identified correctly.

Fortunately I have 2 very good lfs's here in Ohio. It's bad when you walk in a lfs to purchase food and someone is putting rid ich into EVERY tank.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're not happy with your LFS, there are many places with quality stock that ship.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I love this place. Definitely not switching. And thanks for the link! Interesting stuff. I'll have to get another look

If you're not happy with your LFS, there are many places with quality stock that ship.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know but it's nice actually seeing the fish and plants in person. Also being with fish people (because were an endangered species).

I know but it's nice actually seeing the fish and plants in person. Also being with fish people (because were an endangered species).

If you can locate/join a fish club, then you might find that we are not that endangered. But it may depend on your location.

Back
Top Bottom