my LFS story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueangel4730

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went into petco the other day and asked the lady " where do you keep your inverts"? "We don't have any at the moment". Laughing inside we were standing in front of the shrimp tank! I said to her well that's a bummer, how about shrimp? They're right here as the pointed to the tank. I asked her how long she had been working here and she told me 2 years!!!!! I was dying laughing inside as I walked out pf the store with my bag if inverts I was told they didn't have.

To be fair it's generally the managers of the stores who have the knowledge (IME at least) and the general staff have only very basic knowledge.

I think there should be a certification scheme to educate employees .

True enough, but anyone who has had elementary school science should know that shrimp would qualify as invertebrates.

severum mama said:
True enough, but anyone who has had elementary school science should know that shrimp would qualify as invertebrates.

Not true at all!

Not every school teaches that shrimp are inverts.

Heck my school didn't do anything close to that. I had to read and watch educational material to give me what school couldnt.

Not true at all!

Not every school teaches that shrimp are inverts.

Heck my school didn't do anything close to that. I had to read and watch educational material to give me what school couldnt.
No, it is very true. She said SHOULD, not DOES. Sounds to me like you went to a sub-standard school. I remember talking about the oceans and all their creatures while I was in 2nd grade.

Blueangel4730 said:
She could of at least said she wasn't sure what I was asking for

I agree with that but most shop employees would rather say "we haven't got any" if they aren't sure.

It's annoying lol, I tend to not shop at a store that doesn't know what they stock and what they are.

Have fun with the shrimps though, i can't wait till my tank stabilizes enough so I dot have to worry about shrimp dying.

Good luck :)

It could have been a simple miscommunication. Every hobby has its own terminology and the term 'inverts' might have led her to think it was something else,maybe saltwater, who knows.

I bet if you said 'shrimp' you would've gotten a better response.

Moral of the story, don't jump to conclusions.

mfdrookie516 said:
No, it is very true. She said SHOULD, not DOES. Sounds to me like you went to a sub-standard school. I remember talking about the oceans and all their creatures while I was in 2nd grade.

Actually I went to a very good school which helped me reach (at the time and when I was 10) the top 5% of children for math talent in the country.

It depends on the curriculum of the school and I know this because my Gf is a teacher and her friends at different schools don't have to teach some of the stuff she does.

Yes, I do believe that everyone beyond elementary school SHOULD know what an invertebrate is. I went to some awful schools growing up but still learned that quite early on.

@ the OP: I agree she should have asked what you were looking for. Did you use the shortened version "invert" or the entire word "invertebrate"? If you said invert it could have confused her I suppose.

Who cares. She works at petco. If you are going to petco for advice you are the one with the problem. She needs a job. If it isn't mandatory for her to know what "inverts" are why should she know. Don't be so immature to laugh at someone that you think should know something. I own a restaurant but if someone asked me for a recipe I never made, I wouldnt know. Don't just come on a forum to put someone else down.

I went into petco the other day and asked the lady " where do you keep your inverts"? "We don't have any at the moment". Laughing inside we were standing in front of the shrimp tank! I said to her well that's a bummer, how about shrimp? They're right here as the pointed to the tank. I asked her how long she had been working here and she told me 2 years!!!!! I was dying laughing inside as I walked out pf the store with my bag if inverts I was told they didn't have.
I've seen puzzled looks in fish shops before when I've used the term invert. I do think, atleast in some cases, it's the abbreviation of the word that confuses folks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom