My Log is a Floater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacktheknife

Aquarium Advice Freak
how long does it take for a peice of driftwood to become saturated-- i've had the think under a big rock in my tank for 4 days and still its buoyancy knows no bound!

Do a search on ummm... what's it called. Treating the wood? I can't think of the term, but you actually have to boil it... for a long long time. Just putting it in the tank won't do much, hence the term driftwood. :)

Hopefully someone who has done it can chime in with what you should search for, or steps on doing it.

-brent

Edit: It's called curing the wood. Do a search on the forum and you should come up with some good info.

Some types of wood do not absorb water well. You can get a piece of slate big enough to sink the wood. Get a masonary drill bit and several stainless screws. Drill the slate and attach it to the wood with the screws. The screws should be a fairly loose fit and do not overtighten the screws. Some poeple glue the wood th the slate with aquarium grade silicon, but the screws are sure to hold.

jacktheknife, I had the same problem in my 55 g tank. I didn't boil the wood like I should have but it turned out to not be a big deal. I just used a rock to hold the wood down and it took a couple of weeks to stop floating. If you don't want to deal with the slate just give it some time and hopefully it will work out.

Well, it's been 4 months now & my wood still floats! It's too big to boil so I am holding it down with a rock & hope for the best!

Back
Top Bottom