My mid/top dwellers stay near the bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MagicMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Fluval EBi w/3 cardinal tetras & 3 cherry barbs. All 6 of them seem to stay around the bottom of the tank & rarely mid level. I have yet to see them come near the top.

Should I be concerned?

Plenty of live plants. They've been in there a week now.

Give them a little time, another week, right now they feel safer between the plants.

Just my opinion, let's see what others add, but at this point if they are eating well they should be fine.

Last question just to be sure. Is your tank cycled? Are you reading the water quality? Like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates levels?

My neons have always stayed near the bottom of the tank. They really don't like being in the light.

Cycled before any fish went in. ALl levels are good. I check them routinely.

My neons have always stayed near the bottom of the tank. They really don't like being in the light.

I think you hit the issue. It is probably a lighting issue. If you have strong lighting which these fish may dislike try getting some floating plants, this may encourage them to move further up. I use Amazon Frogbit in my tanks.

I think you hit the issue. It is probably a lighting issue. If you have strong lighting which these fish may dislike try getting some floating plants, this may encourage them to move further up. I use Amazon Frogbit in my tanks.
Just the stock 13w bulb

My swordtails you'd find at the bottom and they are normally scavenging for food, picked up that the last few weeks the day where I dont feed them they now eat the pond snail eggs off the leaves and glass. Doing a very good job at it I must add.

Back
Top Bottom