my mystery snail ate a ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know ... maybe the shrimp was already dead, but I thought he was just getting ready to molt. He was getting really milky white and not swimming very well. Next thing I knew my mystery snail was eating him head first!

08-30-06_1349_jesus_eating_shrimp.jpg

Sorry the pic didn't come out so well. I really need to find my real camera so I can stop using my phone for everything.

I would say that the shrimp was already dead and the snail was just fufilling it's job as cleanup crew. When a ghost shrimp turns milky white this can either be a sign of molting or nearing death. Even if it was just a sign of molting, occationally something goes wrong and they don't make it.

What's his name.......if he doesn't have one yet......let me suggest.....Bruce Lee. :)

Unless that shrimpy was 99% dead, it was 100% dead when the snail started a'snacking. Not so stealthy, the snails. I have shrimp and snails, and if something touches a shrimp it goes BOING. Snails don't boing.

Snails aren't predatory, just opportunists. They are faster than I had imagined when I first started keeping them but with the variety of livestock I've had over the years, not once did any of mine go after something, especially something that could hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom