My new 100G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
Good news for me! I just made a deal to acquire (Craiglist) a used 100G tank, with stand and canopy (lights), everything is in great condition....and I got it for 230 dollars.
I will pick it up next weekend. The tank is running with about 10 small fish, the couple who sold it to me just got twins, and they are super busy, not able to properly maintain the tank. The tank is dirty right now and with a big algae problem.
They will give their fish to a neighbor, I will get everything else. I'm thinking to replace the substrate with PFS from Leslie's

My first question: the tank is running with a 4 months old ( new ) Rena XP 4 canister filter. Is this filter good? I heard mix reviews about it. My idea is to keep this filter and add my actual filter (Canister also Jebo 838 ), combined they will move around 760 GPM, which I know is just the rated flow, so in reality I will have around 400GPM.

Before I moved my fish, I will do a fishless process in the tank, hopefully will be fast because I will use my actual canister filter.

My second question is your opinions for the future stocking, I will transfer what I have in my actual 26G tank: 1angelfish, 7 rummynose tetras, 6 golden white clouds, 5 Julii corys, 2 Siamese algae eaters, and an apple snail. I'm also will move 4 panda corys from my sons tank.

Ideas here?

Good news for me! I just made a deal to acquire (Craiglist) a used 100G tank, with stand and canopy (lights), everything is in great condition....and I got it for 230 dollars.
I will pick it up next weekend. The tank is running with about 10 small fish, the couple who sold it to me just got twins, and they are super busy, not able to properly maintain the tank. The tank is dirty right now and with a big algae problem.
They will give their fish to a neighbor, I will get everything else. I'm thinking to replace the substrate with PFS from Leslie's

My first question: the tank is running with a 4 months old ( new ) Rena XP 4 canister filter. Is this filter good? I heard mix reviews about it. My idea is to keep this filter and add my actual filter (Canister also Jebo 838 ), combined they will move around 760 GPM, which I know is just the rated flow, so in reality I will have around 400GPM.

Before I moved my fish, I will do a fishless process in the tank, hopefully will be fast because I will use my actual canister filter.

My second question is your opinions for the future stocking, I will transfer what I have in my actual 26G tank: 1angelfish, 7 rummynose tetras, 6 golden white clouds, 5 Julii corys, 2 Siamese algae eaters, and an apple snail. I'm also will move 4 panda corys from my sons tank.

Ideas here?

id do
1-angelfish,
8-rummynose tetras,
8-golden white clouds,
6-juli corys,
6-panda corys,
2-bolivian rams,
1-rubberlip pleco

ejaramillo01 said:

Ideas here?

1st question: I'd say use the XP4, rookie recommended it as an option for a system I Just setup (opted for Fluval 305), so you should talk to him about any quirks it may have. Sounds like that XP4 is cycled so if you keep the down time to a couple hours it should stay cycled and with the one you have, you should be in good shape.

2nd question: Get a few more angels, they are really cool to watch in a group. Or maybe some discus, I saw a pair at a LFS and they are amazing, but I guess they're tough to keep. The last suggestion would be to keep your current tank in place and do a 100g SW setup :D.

I would say go SW if I had a 100 gal that's what i'd do or a mixed malawi tank. If your set an using what you have i'd say increase the size of your schools and get some more angels. Then see what it looks like and go from there. Especially more rummy nose!

allaboutfish said:
i was gonna say more angels but sometimes they get aggressive with other angels

How many more Angels could be good? Mine is a female, because lay eggs almost every month.

Also do you guys think that a Bolivian or German rams could be home with the Angels?

For the bottom, can I add kulli loaches? Or will be too much because I will have 5 Julii corys plus 4 panda corys???

yes they can they are very peaceful, but get bolivians bc they are easier ad id go with 2 more angels and wait to see if any pair and remove the one that doesnt. i would say for the bottom you could add oe or too but that'd be maxed out. use aqadvisor for a ruff scetch t first but then play it out in your mind to see how it works :) good luck

Now I'm doubting about the substrate, first I felt in love with the PFS that I saw in some other treads. Then I keep hearing also about diatoms and algae in this type of sand ??!

Can somebody suggest to me how much gravel to cover the 100G tank with at least 2 inches of sand?

Thank you guys!

i think it's a pound per gallon (i think) so 100 or so plbs but id start with 50 to see how it looks and then add the other 50 if you dont think it's eough

I don't think you understand how big100 gallons is! You can do pretty much anything you want with it. There are few fish you can't keep in there.

MABJ said:
I don't think you understand how big100 gallons is! You can do pretty much anything you want with it. There are few fish you can't keep in there.

Keep talking, help me to understand more.

ejaramillo01 said:
Keep talking, help me to understand more.

I suggest you make a list of fish you'd like in your tank. Forget you already own fish.

List them out, and pick which you desire. Then, make a table with the numbers 100 at the top. List fish by fish, line by line, and decide how much room each fish needs to itself. Then, do the subtraction.

For example:

Angelfish-10g
Angelfish-10g
2 blue rams - 20g
20 neon tetras - 20 g
10 assorted corydoras - 10g
30 microrasboras - 20g
Angelfish-10g
-------------------------
= 0

So that is fully stocked. Mind you that's just an example.

MABJ said:
I suggest you make a list of fish you'd like in your tank. Forget you already own fish.

List them out, and pick which you desire. Then, make a table with the numbers 100 at the top. List fish by fish, line by line, and decide how much room each fish needs to itself. Then, do the subtraction.

For example:

Angelfish-10g
Angelfish-10g
2 blue rams - 20g
20 neon tetras - 20 g
10 assorted corydoras - 10g
30 microrasboras - 20g
Angelfish-10g
-------------------------
= 0

So that is fully stocked. Mind you that's just an example.

This is good! Thanks and helps me to clarify my thoughts.

Np :)

Let us know what you're thinking of putting in there!

How many more Angels could be good? Mine is a female, because lay eggs almost every month.

Also do you guys think that a Bolivian or German rams could be home with the Angels?

For the bottom, can I add kulli loaches? Or will be too much because I will have 5 Julii corys plus 4 panda corys???

I think you can put ALOT more than that on the bottom :D

Have you considered doing bigger cats instead of the cories? Like bumblee and/or pictus?

Or a bunch of kuhli's and cories would be cool if you wanted to stick to smaller stuff.

Back
Top Bottom