My new 20L Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks nice. At first I thought your post of 20L meant 20 liters. Until I saw the pics. 20 long-that's just what I have.

A week and a half later and not a whole lot of change. The tannin effect seems to have maxed out. I dont feel the need to go through any hoops to get rid of it. Im sure over time it will resolve itself anyways.
The Pennywort seems to be slowly digging roots into the drift wood, but its leaves at the base of the plant seemed to have died off. Not sure if its because there's not enough light reaching down there or if its some of the "melting" I was told to expect.
The Water Sprite has also experienced some die off at the base and is also showing some yellowing/browning at the top. Some of the tips that break the waters surface actually look a bit singed and Im wondering if they could be TOO close to the light.
Otherwise, not a whole lot of growth, which is to be expected from a low-light/low-tech tank.
As far as cycling goes, it's able to process 4ppm ammonia inside of 24hrs, but not so much on the nitrite yet. I'm going to reduce dosing to 2ppm until I start seeing nitrites reducing and then bump it back up to 4ppm. Hopefully this will keep nitrites from running rampant.

Usually leaf loss at the base of a plant is from lack of light. But if the new leaves on the water sprite are coming in yellow or turning completely yellow that indicates an iron deficiency. What ferts are you using and how often? Or are you waiting until the tank cycles?

I am dosing Flourish Comprehensive, Potassium and Iron three times a week (Sunday, Tuesday and Friday).
I dont think its new growth that's yellowish, though. It looks like original plant to me. Ive included a picture taken of the surface of the tank. Its difficult to tell, but you can see some plants are green and others are yellowing.

What I didnt notice yesterday, however, is that there are new root systems growing down from the mass at the top. So that's probably good news, right? :confused:

Attachments

• YellowVSGreen.jpg
    YellowVSGreen.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 77
  • NewRoots.jpg
    NewRoots.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 87
Oh yeah.. and while doing a PWC last night, the anubias in the right side of the DW fell apart at the base. For now Ive got all the individual stems&leaves wedged into various cracks and holes. Not sure exactly how anubias propagates though, so this may be an exercise in futility.
Im wondering if, when I originally placed it, I put too much of the base root structure into the DW and didnt leave enough out to get light.

Most all stem plants grow aerial roots. And the anubia leaves won't grow BUT if you still have a good rhizome left it can indeed grow new leaves if it isn't damaged or rotted.

Another week has gone by.
The tank is getting closer to being cycled. While it can process 4ppm ammonia all the way through to nitrates inside of 24hrs, its not doing it with enough consistency to where I feel its ready yet. Maybe next week... :popcorn:

One of the Compacta Swords has developed yellowing/browning on some of its newer leaves. The other Sword seems to be fine. They each have their own root tab and receive the same light, liquid carbon and liquid ferts, so Im not sure why one is having problems. Id hate to be the guy that kills one of the harder to kill plants. :hide:

The bottom parts of the Water Sprite stems continue to wither away. Im told that this plant doesn't need to be in the substrate and is fine just floating, so Im hoping that the rest of the plant will continue to be OK.

Attachments

• C.Sword.jpg
    C.Sword.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 73
  • W.Sprite.jpg
    W.Sprite.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 76
One the sword cut off the bad leaves and give the plant another root tab. New growth then should be fine and the plant isn't wasting energy on bad leaves. On the sprite I'd pull it up, cut off the bad part and either replant it or let it float and develop roots before replanting.

Added a Mystery snail and a Horned Nerite snail last night. The Mystery snail pretty much just buried itself into the substrate and has stayed there. Hope its ok.
Also added some shrimp. I'm really inexperienced with shrimp, so one of the guys at my good LFS suggested starting with some inexpensive Ghost shrimp, rather than the more pricey fancy shrimp, to make sure my tank is suitable for shrimp. I'm super glad he said that. I added 12 Ghost shrimp of various sizes last night and this afternoon I could only find one. There are lots of places to hide, so I havent completely given up hope. Still, if my Serpaes and Molly decided to have late night shrimp snacks, then Im glad they were $3/dozen instead of $3/each. :whistle:

Just got done trimming some plants. The Penny Wort and Water Sprite had pretty much taken over the surface of the tank. Ive gotten the Penny Wort into a more manageable mass and decided to try and get the Water Sprite back into the substrate. The remaining Anubis seems to be doing well and the Micro Swords arent so micro. New leaves still tend to turn yellow/brown, but the rest are growing nicely.
Here is a before and after:

Attachments

• Nov7-13.jpg
    Nov7-13.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 63
  • Nov8-13.jpg
    Nov8-13.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 71
Its been a while, so I thought I'd throw up some current pics and what not. :cool:

Firstly, I think Ive finally have the tank stocked the way I want:
7 Serpae Tetras
7 Gold Tetras
2 Bumblebee Catfish (SA)
1 Albino Lyretail BN Plec
1 Nerite Snail
1 Rabbit Snail

I had a female Molly in there too, but she has since died. :(

I have been battling some BBA (again). Spot treating with Hydrogen Peroxide has been helping, but ultimately I reduced the photo period from 9hrs to 7hrs. This has made the biggest difference, but there are still little clumps of the stuff growing on my Anubias and the filter outflow. I also ended up removing most of the Pennywort that had amassed because it was a haven for the algae.

Still having issues with the Sword plants. Leaves keeping turning yellow/brown. I remove the bad leaves, but there's usually another bad leaf or two the following week. I just added new root tabs under each plant. If that doesnt help, then Im not sure what else to do.

On the bright side, the Water Sprite seems to be finally doing well. For a while it kept melting and uprooting, but it seems to have finally taken root into the substrate and is threatening to take over. :lol:

Attachments

• March7-2014.jpg
    March7-2014.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 52
  • SwordIssue.jpg
    SwordIssue.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom