My new 55g tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mar_att1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, hello people i am new here and also new to aquariums.

my father had a 55 gallon tank which was not being used and i decided to put it in my room and set it up as F/W.

what combinations of fish do you recommend for me to introduce to my tank? and how much do you think will be appropriate. i dont want it to be overcrowded but at the same time i would like it to be colourful and varied.

i was thinking more on the lines of a peaceful aquarium, but i'm open to all ur suggestions :)

1inch or less per gallon, you could fit alot of fish!.

A community tank would be nice.

most people like to have variety in a community tank.

you could have:

bottom feeders: dwarf plecos-1 (rubberlip, gold nugget)
corydoras-3-6 (panda, peppered....large selection)

Schooling fish: smaller tetras(choose only one type)- 8-10 (neons, rummynose, red eye, black skirt....)

Larger fish: dwarf gouramis- 1-3 (powder blue, flame dwarf...)

These would be some good beginner fish. i hope this helps, good luck!.

i was thinking more on the lines of a peaceful aquarium, but i'm open to all ur suggestions

Peaceful is always the intent...even with agressive fish its a harmony....they just know not to pick on each other lol.

Read the articles found on this site about cycling (getting the water ready for fish without death)...once you grasp the idea and get started you will have a few week to decide on the population.

Its not as bad as it sounds,but its not gonna be tomorrow either....BUT its much better then killing fish and giving up.

You have found the right forums to answer your questions (ask away) so you are off to a great start!

And welcome to AA!

i have already began the cycle, but i have to admit it's still in the beginning and i'm taking as much advice as i can from my bf because he already owns a tank.

even though i still have to wait (impatiently may i add lol) for the fishless tank to get ready i have already begun dreaming and considering which fish i can put inside. hence the post lol.

If his tank has been up for a long while then the news is good.The bacteria you need is in his tank (or on the stuff in his tank).Its on his used filter pad and on his substrate ect...

Media transfer is the easiest and fastest way to get a tank cycled imo.

I'd explain it better but I must go...but someone else will key it in "how toos" very soon I'd imagine.

Come to think of it,you may need to decide on that population sooner then I thought.

hmmm interesting...

can someone please explain to me how this transfer works exactly? my bf's tank is about 2.5 years old.

Put the used filter media in the filter on your new tank. The media contains beneficial bacteria that will speed up your cycle. Make sure the filters have alot of crud on them, it will help alot.

so you want a handsome looking tank?

im not really a tetra person, or a small fish person in general, but i didnt realize that until i had alot of them.

imo, tetras are good starting fish, and good fish for small tanks, but dont make my mistake, and fill your nice 55g tank with hordes of small $1.82 fish

and even if you dont care for big fish, get one at least, they really stand out in a good way, and people are always aweing them.

if i could do it all over, i'd get:
1 pleco (everyone needs a pleco, and there shouldnt be a reason for anyone not to have a pleco)
1- BGK (really elegant looking fish, everyone gives this guy a second look)
2-moonlight gouramis (larger fish that are peaceful, but dont mind pushing smaller fish outta the way when it comes to feeding)
4-5 tiger barbs (never had them before, cant give you any info)
4-5 glass catfish (everyone is amazed at this completelty transparent fish, just dont cheap out and buy normal glass fish, people will look at them funny and call them skeletons, plus they have those creepy eyes)88
8-10 neons, everyone likes neons, even people like me who dont like dinky fish
3-dojo loaches anyone who doesnt know anything about aquariums will actually believe you have freshwater eels
30-ghost shrimp, people think shrimp are fun, and they clean up any leftover food

save some room, because in a month or so, you'll stop at your lfs, and find a fish you really like... and need to have

I'll add to the tiger barb recommendation above me.

I love Tiger Barbs. To me, they are the single most entertaining fish you can have. They get a bad wrap because they're added to tanks that they shouldn't be in.

I had a 33g with all Tiger Barbs (plus utility fish) and it was one of the most entertaining tanks I have ever had. They were such friendly, outgoing fish that guests would come over and literally stare at the tank for an hour watching them swim. They have a hierarchical school structure with one "alpha fish" which is the clear dominant fish in the tank. Males with "spar" with males for females quite frequently but this is just a show of colors and fin flaring, with no actual fighting. The males will get bright red fins and noses when they're in mating condition. When a male starts to mate with a female, they will swim circles around one another. When the eggs are deposited they will most likely be eaten unless you have a breeding tank.

I would add 25-30 Tiger Barbs, half a dozen Ottos and three Cory's.

With this setup, you would have a tank that would rival any other entertainment in your home.

tiger_school1.jpg

This is not my photo, but a Google Images photo.

What are you using to fishless cycle the tank? Ammonia or fish food? Just wondering because alot of people think cycling is just letting the tank sit for awhile....you have to add an ammonia source. If your bf keeps fish, he should be able to get you started, so I'm assuming you know what you're doing at this point.

As for fish....the best advice I can give you is to go to your local fish store (LFS) or pet store (LPS) and see what kind of fish you like. Tetras are good fish for beginners. Many are hardy and will be more forgiving for beginner mistakes. They are colorful and look great in big schools. I'd take some paper and write down all the fish you like, then come back and post your list on here and we can help you decide which fish will go together and which won't. Putting together a stocking list isn't just deciding how many to get, its figuring out what fish go together, which will fit in the tank, etc. Thats the part I like!

Welcome to AA! You are in good hands here. And 55g is a great size to start with. Its big enough to have alot of fish that you like.

With this setup, you would have a tank that would rival any other entertainment in your home.
I certainly agree with that! I have my 55g in my room and to make space for it I got rid of my television and stand. The fish are much more interesting!

JustOneMore20 said:
I certainly agree with that! I have my 55g in my room and to make space for it I got rid of my television and stand. The fish are much more interesting!

I'm glad i'm not the only one. :)

Nokinja said:
I would add 25-30 Tiger Barbs, half a dozen Ottos and three Cory's.

With this setup, you would have a tank that would rival any other entertainment in your home

ehh i dunno if i'd put 25 tiger barbs in a tank... it would just remind me of those crowded feeder tanks at the lfs

you need some diversity

I think I'd stick with 10-12 tiger barbs at the most...they get about 3 inches and are active little fishies! Also, cories need a bigger group than 3....I'd go with atleast 6....maybe 8.

hmm about the tiger barbs, i heard that they can get a bit aggressive and nip at others' fins, but maybe they need to be in a shoal in order to prevent them from doing so.

now, here's the list that interests me the most...

1. pleco (i don't know what it is but i fell in love instantly with this species, seems very peaceful and friendy lol)

2. diamond tetra - i don't really like tetras and small fish in general but i was looking in a book and this fish was so beautiful, i just hope i find it at my lfs cos i live in malta and we dont import every kind of fish

3. angel fish - the white kind with very long fins is beautiful

4. corydora - if i can i will try to find the blue kind (i would love to have blue/white fish in my aquarium)

5. 3spot/moonlight/blue/kissing gourami - very interesting and beautiful fishes

6. cichlids - but i dont think that i can introduce these into a community tank or could i? i heard they are to be kept in a tank reserved for cichlids only. is there any type of cichlid which will thrive in a community tank?

7. silver shark - is this to be kept alone or as a pair/trio. and furthermore is my tank big enough for it?

8. silver dollars - so sparkly in shoal lol

9. hmm i just saw a picture of the glass catfish - it is quite a bizarre and remarkable looking fish

10. elephant nose - very unique looking and reminds me of dolphins - again it might be difficult to find in malta

11. maybe an apple/mystery snail

ok, i know that it is quite a long list lol but this is just to give you ppl an idea of what i have in mind and to ask for ur advice about combinations. feel free to add other fish which u think should also be considered.

thank u all 4 ur help! :)

There are some plecos that stay small enough for a 55g...I'd look for Bristlenose (aka Bushynose), Rubbernose, and Clown plecos. They all stay pretty small. I'd stay away from common plecos...they will get too big for a 55g. There are also some fancy plecos that stay small, but too many to list.

A school of Diamond tetras would look great if you can find them. I'd go for 8-10.

A couple angelfish would work in your tank. I'd get either 2 or 4....with 4 you can wait for 2 to pair off and then return the other 2.

Corydoras will also work...they like groups so I'd get atleast 4 of one type....the more the better though.

Its not a great idea to mix gouramis with angels. Sometimes they get along, sometimes they don't. I personally wouldn't try it....although some people have luck.

There are some cichlids that will live in community tanks. Bolivian and German Rams, which are South American cichlids, are very peaceful. You could work a pair of one of those into your tank. Stay away from African cichlids if you want a community tank.

Silver sharks get too big for a 55g. They are also really active. I think they get around 14 inches.

Silver dollars will be ok I think in a group. They will take up some room though, so I'd go with the angel/tetra combo or silver dollar school.

Glass catfish are pretty cool looking. They like to school, so you'll need a group.

Elephantnose can be sensitive, not a good beginner fish IMO.

Ok for combos...I'd go with something like:
2 angels
8 diamond tetras
6 glass cats
6-8 cories
1 small pleco
snail

or

4 angels
8 diamond tetras
6-8 small tetra
6-8 cories
1 small pleco
snail

or

6 silver dollars (not sure if this will work)
6 glass cats
6-8 cories
1 small pleco
snail

I've never kept silver dollars, so not sure their max size and I don't know what size tank is minimum. And not sure if they are peaceful or semi-aggressive.

Hope that helps some!

You can have African cichlids in community tanks, just not the ones JOM is thinking of. :) Kribensis/Pelvicachromis are peaceful and very bright, and stay small. Plus I think they're a little hardier than the Rams.
kribs1.jpg

Do your research if you're thinking about a pleco!! I know it's been said but I cannot stress it enough. But be prepared for it not to eat a whole lot of algae.

and even if you dont care for big fish, get one at least, they really stand out in a good way, and people are always aweing them.
I am all about this. Having other people amazed at my fish makes me feel really good and sort of justifies the hobby for me. People always loved the oscar, and now they're amazed at my gigantic pleco (which I didn't research first. It worked out ok, but don't do what I did). But you can find some neat fish that are impressive without being big.

Tiger Barbs also come in a variety of colors... I have 3 regular gold, 6 moss green and 3 albinos =)

You can also get them to school and play nice with other barbs, like rosies, i have heard.

I have kept kribensis with tiger barbs before. Both were about equal agressiveness. I had 2 kribs, 10 tiger barbs, and 5 green barbs in my 55 gal tank. I also had alot of plants in that tank, so even plants are an option if you wanted. I certainly wouldn't mix either of them with glass cats. The glass cats are far too peaceful to be subjected to barbs or kribs. I tried with just kribs and one of the glass cats ended up dead, so the kribs had to go. Also, if you do get the glass cats, get at least 6. They are very social with each other, and really dont do well in a group much smaller.
These are in my tank.

p1010195.jpg

mar_att1 said:
silver shark - is this to be kept alone or as a pair/trio. and furthermore is my tank big enough for it?

i think i know what you mean, pictus catfish, silver finned shark... those kinds need brackish water when they get older, although i got two yellow chromides as a present and keep them in a freshwater tank, i dunno the long term effects

glass cats are great, just make sure they have a cave to go into, and they freak out unless theres at least 2 of them

and the elephant fish, they are electrical fish, so make sure you dont have more than one, or any other electric fish (black ghost knives, clown knives, baby whales... together otherwise their electric signals confuse each other, then they get pissed off and fight)

and im sure you'll enjoy the moonlight & kissing gouramis especially when the kissers get big, and their lips get huge

you live in malta though? isnt that off of italy?

Back
Top Bottom