My new 92G Corner Discus tank Journey!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why don't you leave the top open and suspend the lights above it? It would likely be less frustrating than making a top for that beast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I leave my top open. Only problem Is water evaporates quickly

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Problem with suspending the light is 2 of my lights I made myself.. and itd be hard to suspend those and I don't wanna drill into my ceiling. Plus I don't like the evaporation 2 gallons in 2 days is a lot of water evaportation.

Im coming along really nicely with my top.. Here it is so far.. The framing is done. I got a 20x23 1/3 piece of a glass cut for me in Lowes was only $10 for the glass and the wood framing was like $10 as well. I have plenty of time to do it and I like building things.

What do you guys think so far ? All I need to do now is cut my left over plexi to the shapes of the small holes on the left and right, and the rear and fit them and the main piece of glass on the frame. Im going to just use Aquarium Silicon to stick it all together.

Im thinking of staining the wood the color of my fish tanks stand though to match it all. Not sure yet though and the very very far left and right where you see my eheim tube coming out I intentionally left open so the tank can breathe and obviously so I could have room for cords and my tubing.

img_3202768_0_1036e766c9b6ccf475662341f10990a5.jpg

All done. The glass is now on the frame.. I left gaps purposely on the 2 sides so the tank can breathe I don't want to close it off completely. The triangle shaped top is closed off. the entire middle is closed off and part of the sides are closed.. Cept those gaps..

What do you guys think ? I know it doesn't look professional but it was only $20 an it suites my needs perfectly, can support my lights.. Keep evaporation down and keep my fish from jumping out

img_3202803_0_443d46bbdafcac3bfbc5ce79c2a796a6.jpg

Finished product... What do you guys think ? only took me a day to come up with and build.. Oh and here are pics of the 65w Power compact lights I made like 6 months back.. All the lights are 65W Power compacts, but the T8 hoods on the left are the power compacts I made because the 44g Pentagon I bought that this tank replaced the guy gave me a duel PC ballast and the Orbit fixture on the right.. So why not make more lights right ?

img_3202817_0_fe300f93a3410582aa76ab19e7a79b39.jpg

img_3202817_1_0125e77f1b49f107d6dce33801b17fff.jpg

img_3202817_2_f50fc1b8f3be4dea66279becff00445c.jpg

img_3202817_3_739aa7977b0a86acacd6e5e14695ccbe.jpg

img_3202817_4_1152f8738ca890bdb8c853498dfdb0fd.jpg

I know what you mean about the troubles of hanging diy light systems and such, my only worry is the lights being shorter in length to the tank they would not be supported by the actual glass frame and all that weight is being focused into the lid. If you know what I mean, maybe look into something like this.DIY – An Inexpensive (Light) Hanger Kit - Reefkeeping.com you should be able to find the steel frames already bent somewhere. go salvaging at junk/recycling stores.

Na the glass is fine, Im not worried about it at all.. It has a center brace in the middle. and the lights don't weigh that much tbh.. The glass isn't even bending, its 100% supported by the frame. That pipe thing looks interesting but I don't have the tools to bend pipes and stuff.. And im officially at 0$ I like what I built, im satisfied with it.

Im trying to put more substrate in the tank now, and add more plants.. But I cannot find my little gravel vacuum attachment.. I sware that thing always goes missing lol... grr

I have been following your tread and must say bravo! On your new tank. I have also been working on a DIY 270g tank for my gold fish and picked up some ideas from you. Thanks for sharing and happy fish keeping. Here's a pic of hank the tank as we now call it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428926587.947500.jpg it's not completely done but I need to save up the ££ to finish off the bits and bobs I need to make it complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the final product.. I took the red lava rock chunks out.. replaced them with bigger black ones which look amazing in this tank, I removed some of the slate on the driftwood its starting to waterlog again and I added some watersprite on it to make it seem more natural.. I put in a amazon sword and an Anubias Batera.. Also the small plants in the front are S repens im going to try to carpet..

I also added 4 more 15 lbs bags of floramax substrate now it has 3-4 inches of substrate vs the thin layer where I could see the glass. My discus are so happy now, when I put in the bloodworms or beefheart they all come to my hand and start eating it out of my fingers, some times nipping me by accident.. 2 of them will let me touch them and they wont even freak out at all. What do you think ? I think what really makes the tank pop out is the Actinic Lighting im using.. I have 2 Power Compact both 420/450 bulbs (the purple and blue) and the 2 white ones are both 6700/6700 Power compacts.. It gives the tank a really nice glow and makes the discus and neons and even my green plants glow. I am really loving this 92g corner tank... You know petsmart all the petsmarts in my area and now selling 125g long tanks and 150g tall tanks... And I must say... The short 6 foot long 125g tank looks meh doesn't look very tall at all.. Reminds me of a 30g tank that's only 16 inches tall..... looks no diff then a 55g or 75g tank.. And the 150g tank is just a tall square... They may have more water volume.. but this 92g corner tank I think has a much bigger surface area because how deep it is.. I am 6'2 and I cannot reach the back of the tank, if I stand on my tip toes and try to touch the other side im like 8 inches too short from reaching it.. That's how deep this tank is.... I mean you saw how big my top was ? When I lay it on my Full sized bed.. it takes up the entire bed from side to side

Btw how tall is that 270g tank of yours lol it looks like its 35 inches tall lol

img_3203691_0_9be22f477742c41d1d69b40f8854b92b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom