My new freshwater tank project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barkerno1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got myself a 30-40 gallon corner tank from craigslist.
The stand and filters and things need a bit of cleaning and i have to get rid of a ton of sand inside it also so I thought i would start up a thread so I might get some help if anything arises.
I'll take some pictures of the new tank when it's all cleaned out and when I've done a water test.

One question already popped up, not really too excellent at math and wondering how I would work out exactly the size of a corner tank.

Multiply the surface area by the depth. So to get the area of the triangle is base x height divided by two. So if your triangle is 60(b) x 60(h)=360 divide by 2 is 180. The depth is for example 60 again so 180 x 60= 10800 (volume in mls) divide by 1000 = 10.8 litres.

I have measured the front of the tank as a straight line one corner to the other so this doesn't take into consideration the bow at the front but it's near as makes no difference.

At least I think so.... been a looooong time since I did Trig lol

Last edited:
Just a picture of the tank cleaned out and about to start the water test :)

Attachments

• image-1195349015.jpg
    image-1195349015.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 77
Do the area of the back triangle then divide the front into two triangles and a rectangle and add it all up.

Barkerno1 said:
One question already popped up, not really too excellent at math and wondering how I would work out exactly the size of a corner tank.

By size do you mean exact volume? If so just start filling it up with a 2 or 5 gallon bucket, should get you with in a couple of gallons.

Ok so you can split it into a rectanlge and a trapezoid then add that together. I wan't teach you to suck eggs with the volume of a rectangle but the trapezoid works like this (I think lol)

Add together the 2 parallel sides and divide by 2 (eg 60x 80 = 480/2=240)
Measure the distance between the 2 parallel sides and multiply with the previous result (240x50 =1200)
Then multiply that with the depth (1200 x 60=72000) to get millilitres
Divide by 1000 (72000/1000=72) for the litres.
So add the volume of the rectangle (which was for the sake of example 50x90x60/2 =270)
270+72=342 litres

Hope this makes sense :D

Awesome, just started filling it up and it has a significant leak in the bottom corner, any ideas, or just reseal it with some aquarium safe silicone?

You will need to strip all the silicon and reseal with aquarium safe silicone. Silicone does not stick to itself so you need to do the whole thing. Probably be safer that way too.

Yep sad to say my friend but you will have to take off your top trim and reline all your silicone. Look on YouTube there are some good videos on there to show you how. I relined my 90gal for my first try at this, your 30-40 should be a piece of cake :) Go to home depot or lowes and get GE silicone 1 window and door 100% silicone, a no leak caulking gun, some razor blades and isopropyl alcohol.

Well this shall be a fun ride then lol. Hopefully I shall accomplish it well, shall by my first attempt at anything handymanish.
Let's hope I can do it!

You can do it! Also I forgot to add you'll need painters tape. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and remember watch those YouTube videos!

Well I'm all supplied up, now to go watch a bunch of videos and figure out how I shall be doing this :(

Back
Top Bottom