My new GBR not moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chykityta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a female and a male German Blue Ram las weekend. They seemed fine until yesterday when the female was stressed and hiding behind things like the heater, the filter, and wood. Today, it has been fixed on a spot without moving at all. I know it is breathing, but even putting my fingers next to her on the glass make her move. Any ideas on what is going on with her?

Sent by me; a Newbie
10g partially planted with 7 Bloodfin Tetras - Est. 1/29/2015

What size tank is this? 20L for a pair is recommended. She could could be stressed from not enough space and the male giving her a hard time.

She moved from the spot she was at most of the day, but to another spot.

Sent by me; a Newbie

10 g is kind of tight for a pair?
It can be done but not easily.
What it the tank temp?
Do you have test kit for water parameters?
Who else is in tank with them.
A picture of both would sure help.

Sorry I meant 20gal long. Is this a 40litre or 40gal long?

I did write the units correctly.

What it the tank temp?
Do you have test kit for water parameters?
Who else is in tank with them.
A picture of both would sure help.

Temperature is 80°
Test kit shows everything is fine
Tank inhabitants are bloodfin tetras
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432471242.093028.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432471274.696844.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432471312.212608.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432471357.664351.jpg
Pictures from when I got them a week ago.

Sent by me; a Newbie

Look to see if there are eggs around her?
They are male and female IMO.
Other wise it is just my opinion,but
bloodfins can be pretty tough tetras.
Have you seen any aggression?
7 against 2 won't end well for the rams IMO?
Especially if they try to defend a clutch.
Any other symptoms beside "settled"?
Heavy breathing , bloating/sunken belly,spot/lesion ?
Look at gills closely and with flash light(read up on gill flukes).
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/parasites-flukes

Look to see if there are eggs around her?
They are male and female IMO.
Other wise it is just my opinion,but
I attempted to get a male an a female. Everyone else has the same opinion as you on the sexes; but no eggs yet.

bloodfins can be pretty tough tetras.
Have you seen any aggression?
7 against 2 won't end well for the rams IMO?
Especially if they try to defend a clutch.
I have seen no aggression. The bloodfins were boss but once I added the GBRs, the bloodfins haven't mess with them. The GBRs bark very well.

Any other symptoms beside "settled"?
Heavy breathing , bloating/sunken belly,spot/lesion ?
Look at gills closely and with flash light(read up on gill flukes).
http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/parasites-flukes

I noticed the female is breathing heavier and faster than the male. Has been at the bottom of the tank over the last 24 hours. I have put food near her and she doesn't take it.

Any other ideas other than visible parasites? I saw none. I turned on all of the lights and for the first time over the last two days, she was in the middle/bottom part of the tank; visible. Unfortunately, I can't post the short video I took of her.

Sent by me; a Newbie

I have seen the male "flash" twice today. What was that?

PS: they are all in a 20 Gallon now.

Sent by me; a Newbie

So I looked up what flashing is and it is not what the male is doing. He is free swimming and just quickly avoids something in front of him. Like immediately runs away.

Sent by me; a Newbie

Give them a week to adjust to the tank, shorten the photoperiod, watch your water quality like a hawk, remember the nitrogen cycle will have been interrupted. She will appreciate the extra room though. :)

Give them a week to adjust to the tank, shorten the photoperiod, watch your water quality like a hawk, remember the nitrogen cycle will have been interrupted. She will appreciate the extra room though. :)

Hey, what is photoperiod?

Cycle was fine before the transfer, and just a tad of ammonia after it. None as of last night already. The bloodfins were the first to love the extra space.

The female has moved just a bit since last night but still at the bottom. I added two teaspoons of aquarium salt and 2 tablets of MarineLand all in one remedy. Will continue adding the tablets for another 4 days unless someone has another idea.

Sent by me; a Newbie

She is still alive but barely moving as previous days. Temperature is now at 82°.

Sent by me; a Newbie

Hello,
Wanted to give you all an update. After a week of battling, my GBR girl lost her life. She did try to swim in various occasions but she had some sort of "seizure" 4 times today. On the last one, I heard as she bang herself against her uncontrolled body. It was best for her to go to a better life because watching her doing that since this morning was stressful.

I got her from PetSmart and rest assure I will get no more from there. She had too many colors to begin with. Anyways, this is the end of this topic unless someone knows why she was uncontrollably going in circles and lay motionless on her side 4 times today before her passing.

Sent by me; a Newbie

Back
Top Bottom