My new pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TEC5154

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a pleco two days ago. I bought it and they told me it was a vampire pleco. However, when I started researching it a little further the only pictures I found of vampire plecos were all black with white spots. Mine is the exact opposite being all white with black spots. Is this still a vampire or is it something else. Also, how long should I wait after getting a few new fish to do a water change. I usually try to do at least at 10-20% water change every week. Should I just skip this week to let them get used to the water? Thanks for the advice.

You should go ahead and change your water according to your normal schedule. I don't know what your pleco is but I would love to see a pic. :mrgreen:

I'd say you'd be fine with still keeping your water changes regular. You wouldn't want to throw anything off balance. Keep in mind however, when plecos eat its usually in one hole and out the other. They are pooping machines. They're eating constantly, and constantly pooping. Keep an eye on your your nitrates. I don't know how big your tank is, but if it is a small one, this pleco's poop might send the nitrates up just a little. Also, i'm an avid pleco fan, but i can't help you with an all white pleco with brown spots. Maybe take a look at www.planetcatfish.com click on thier library, find the L numbers and just keep clicking away till you find the right one. Maybe its an albino vamp pleco w/ reversed spots! :twisted: Here is the planetcatfish vampire pleco link: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/leporaca/138_f.php
Here is the listing for the catfish/pleco's by L numbers, there's alot of them, but it shouldn't take too long to plow through the list to see if any match your description. Link: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/l_index.htm

Also, Do you have a picture of it you could post?

HTH
-Stewie

I will post a pic later. I am at work right now...haha. Thank you for your suggestions. It is a really cool pleco. And it looks exactly like the vampire except colors are reversed.

Same here TEC i'm at work too.. Where do you work? I work at a power plant doing thier computer stuff for them.
I'll be anxious to see the pic when you post it.
-Stewie

Back
Top Bottom