My new project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maniac1101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well my 10gal tank has been running great for months now and is right where I want it with no room for more fish so I just bought a new tank to start on.

Its a 20gal tank I got from my father in law for $35 he got it from an auction it had the tank, hood/light heater filter air pump and bubble stone with it.

The filter is a whisper2 which will be changed out for either a aquaclear or a fulval c3 not sure yet not using the air pump but no biggie.

It has a florescent light right now which will do for starts by will be upgraded to led.

Thinking planted with dhg carpet and some taller plants drift wood and some rock work not sure yet tho ideas for fish would be great not sure what im looking at puting in yet.
Next step is cleaning it all up and look at substrate might go black sand or fine gravel ideas welcome tho.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1416816586771.jpg
    1416816586771.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 60
I run a couple of 20g tanks that look to be identical to that. That was a good deal for $35 fully equipped for tropical fish.

I use fine black gravel over a dirt and plenty of plants grow well in it with T8 lighting. I have sand in other tanks and some plants have issues growing roots in it. But both sand and fine gravel work well for plants. DHG didn't handle it well though It survived a few weeks before i moved it to a more suitable tank. Maybe try dwarf chain sword for a carpet. It gets tall at times but grows like a weed in low light sending out lots of runners. Crypt Parva might also do well. I have had some planted for a couple of weeks and it seems to be growing a bit already. Too soon to say if it will thrive in the tank but it's not dieing.

In my two 20g tanks i have
Tank 1
14 Kuhli loaches in a heavily planted tank they love (i think i have at least 8 left but can't count them)

Tank 2
7 Harlequin Rasboras
5 Neon tetras (need to upgrade my school again after some deaths)
1 Bristlenose pleco who needs to be moved to my 35g soon. Alternatively a school of cories would go well.

Ill keep that in mind thanks for the heads up I was looking into eco complete as a possibility so may make the dhg grow better

Just a few update photos the first is right after the fill up with a few feeders in for cycle help second is almost current will post a current cleaned up pic later or tomorrow

Current stock is 7 black neon tetra 1 penguin tetra and 1 green corry

Attachments

• 1418881941539.jpg
    1418881941539.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 1418881965524.jpg
    1418881965524.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 46
Heres the other pic I also forgot I still have 1 feeder fish left from the original 4 I had in for cycle

Attachments

• 1418890852738.jpg
    1418890852738.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom