My new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forlyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My new tank...Please help

I'm hoping that someone out there can help me. I got a handme down tank last night. Its a 12 gallon tank. I have a very small tank right now with one plain goldfish in it. The person who gave me the 12 gallon tank had lots of problems with ick and fish dying and lots of algae. Last night I cleaned out the tank and replaced it with new gravel and 3 tank decorations and a live plant. When can I safely make the switch for my 1 gold fish? My son wants to put the fish in tonight. Should we wait? Plus even though I cleaned out the tank thourly should I still be worried about diseases. I have had my 1 goldfish for 4 years. My son won him at a fair. he'll be upset if we lose the goldfish. Plus what other fish can he be paired with? Any type of goldfish or should we stick to the non fancy golfish variety? Thanks alot

Last edited:
You need to cycle the tank. You can do a silent cycle with the filter and stuff from your old tank. One goldfish in a 12 gallon is enough. I knew someone several years ago that had one goldfish in a 55 gallon tank it needed every bit of that tank since it was about 9inches long. One healthy fish is better than two stressed fish that will keep getting diseases because of the stress.

If you chose to do a silent cycle watch for an ammonia spike and be prepared to do several small water changes.

Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't put any more fish in there. You should read about the "cycle" if you want to understand why--in short, the bacteria that help break down toxic waste products of the fish aren't there yet. Since you cleaned the tank thoroughly I wouldn't be too worried about diseases, you should add the fish as soon as possible.

there are two links in my signature that will go through the process of cycling... definately a must.... that 12 gal tank will only house that goldfish for a short time, do you have a pond you can put it in when it gets bigger? common goldfish get monsterous!

If you use the filter media and some gravel or decor from the tank your fish is in right now, you can use it in the new tank to seed it with bacteria, and then you should not have to cycle your tank for very long.

Back
Top Bottom