My new "themed" tank inhabitants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, as some of you know I bought a 3gal Eclipse on ebay for a killer deal. Well, I debated and debated on what to put in there (I even considered a fiddler crab but when I saw them at the lfs I got the willies).

Off to my mom and pop fish store I go.. and I look and I look and I look and I wasn't finding anything so I looked over at the bettas. I saw one that looked kinda neat and I picked him up and wasn't too sure.. but then, there he was, in a plastic cup right behind the one I was looking it. It was him! You know when you just KNOW that fish is the one you want? Well... ladies and gents I am proud to present to you Sir Edward the Fourth:

img_617626_0_992e4732d937b97dcba9b7bc1ee9d315.jpg

And soon he will be accompanied by 5 harlequin's to keep his lordship entertained! (see the theme? Im a nerd, I know).

I might add in an armored knight to watch over the castle (a mystery snail) and maybe and otto or two (couldn't think of a theme with those, bummer).

Anyways, I've had other bettas in the past (3 to be exact) but none of them were kept properly (I figured that out too late). Also, this is the first betta that I've had that is not blue or red (or a combination of both).

Once I get all the fish I plan to have, I might revamp the gravel and the decor.. maybe add plants.

that is a beautiful betta!!!!!! I saw one at the LFS that I really wanted to take home but I don't have a tank for it. Love the theme by the way.

My theme is naming all my fish my movies or tv :)

Great Betta! Sorry for being the bearer of bad news but the tank would be overstocked with ALL of those fish. It would do OK (provided you did 50% water changes weekly) with either of the following plans:

Plan A:
1 Betta
5 Harlequins
1 Snail

Plan B:
1 Betta
2 Otos
1 Snail

Plan C:
1 Betta
3 Otos

Many would consider Plan A to be overstocked, but if you take good care of your fish and do regular water changes, it should be OK.

I figured either harlequins or ottos.. but wasn't sure if I'd do both.

I know that harlequins have a smaller bioload than other fish so it would be somewhat reasonable to say that for every 2 harlequins it equals the bioload of "1 inch".. so with 5 harlequins that could equal about "2.5inchs" plus the betta wouldn't be too bad a bioload. Two otos would be added only if my water quality was easily maintained. Also, i do plan to get plants at some point (I have all the stuff for it in my other tank.. just need to get this one set-up for it), which would cut down on the bioload as well.

It's one of those "we shall see what happens" kinda deals =o)

Congrats lyquid! I like your "Royalty" theme and Sir Edward looks mighty regal with his flowing robes. :D

I like the stocking plan as well. As mentioned, it will take some regular and large water changes to get it rolling. Maybe drop a harlequin...4 can be just as funny as 5. :)

of course, doing a 50% pwc on a 3 gallon tank is about 30 seconds of work so i think you could get away with 3 harlequins, 2 otos, and a snail. i have a 3 gallon eclipse that housed about 20 guppy fry from birth to about 1/2" apiece on a 50% pwc twice a week. i think you'll be fine with your current plan.

and adorable theme... and BEAUTIFUL betta!

I wouldnt get a snail, dont they start overwelming you with many others and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more! sorry lol

kaz said:
I wouldnt get a snail, dont they start overwelming you with many others and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more! sorry lol
Those are MTS snails (which I have tons in my other tanks) but mystery and apple snails are largers and don't over populate like the others do =o)

Wow, beautiful betta! I know what you mean about those fish that you just HAVE to have... that's how I got my farlowella (Stretch). I like your stocking plan with the harlequins and I think that, being experienced with fish, you could pull this off. I saw the plant in your pic, is it real? tried to add an apple snail to my betta tank (5 gal Eclipse planted) and it munched my plants almost to death.

one of my bettas looks exactly like that. Tell me, does he have red spots in his fins?

Mine is named Chuck, he lives in a 2.5 gallon...alone. He had some shrimp, but they disappeared (could he have eaten them?)

hsherman1986 said:
one of my bettas looks exactly like that. Tell me, does he have red spots in his fins?

Mine is named Chuck, he lives in a 2.5 gallon...alone. He had some shrimp, but they disappeared (could he have eaten them?)

He doesn't have red spots on his fin.. but his fins are slightly red (its almost pink)

There is a very good possibility he ate the shrimp =o)

Back
Top Bottom