My Newest Addition!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a BGK last week, and he's a lovely fish to my tank. I have pictures, but they hardly show him, so I'll just show you the video of him. There is no sound because my iPod's mic is broken:
I am aware that my tank is overcrowded, but I'm going to donate my large mass of guppies to the local aquarium and buy a few fish. I don't know exactly how many guppies I have... I feel so bad for letting my guppies multiply like that! I have more than fifty that is certain...
I have *currently*
2 Large Plecostomuses
1 male swordtail (red wag/pineapple mix)
2 silver sailfin mollies - male & female (surprisingly, they haven't had any fry...)
1 BGK - unknown gender
50+ guppies
All in a 55g. I'm actually kinda desperate to donate my fish hehe, need to count them in a bucket first beforehand...
The decors I have are nice, but some just seem weird
1 Fake Roman Colleseum
1 Fake Arizonan Rock slabs with fake plants
4 Fake plants
5-8 live plants consisting of kyotos, white & gold ribbons, and umbrella plants
1 coconut shell cut up for a little cavernous feel
1 Japanese shrine
1 fake coral rock with a kyoto sticking out one of the holes
The gravel is a nice neon mix that seems to glow, it's black, neon green/teal/blue/cyan, and dark blue. It pops out of the tank and looks nice.
Any more plants I could add, since I'm looking for more plants because my tank looks half empty in decor.
Also, any good fish I could add with the ones I have that I can get after I donate almost all guppies (keeping 5-6 male guppies)?
Thanks for reading ^w^

Hey, if I'm not mistaken, (the pros will help) I think the tank is big enough for the bgk knife fish, but I'm sure they grow to like 25 cms.. Sorry to say but I'm sure I've seen a video of one eating feeder goldfish, they are bigger than guppies :( I'm sorry to say but I think your livebearers will be eaten when he grows :( sorry.. + pros help me please :D

Womble1234: I'm actually donating my guppies, I have less than 30 now thank God!! So it really doesn't matter to me if I have guppies or not, they just breed like mad! I'm planning on getting more exotic fish, like maybe a Betta or two (male/female), or African Brown Knifefish, or some loaches, like Black Kuhli, Golden Dojo, or Clown. Any other suggestions? Btw. I'm 14, and a pretty good fish raiser.

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Womble1234: I'm actually donating my guppies, I have less than 30 now thank God!! So it really doesn't matter to me if I have guppies or not, they just breed like mad! I'm planning on getting more exotic fish, like maybe a Betta or two (male/female), or African Brown Knifefish, or some loaches, like Black Kuhli, Golden Dojo, or Clown. Any other suggestions? Btw. I'm 14, and a pretty good fish raiser.

I've read that if you go with male/female betta's that you need 2-3 females. Otherwise the male will beat up the single female.

I've read that if you go with male/female betta's that you need 2-3 females. Otherwise the male will beat up the single female.

Thank you for that critical info! I don't want a poor beaten up female. Also, would a single male, no females, be alright in a 55g with the fish listed in my signature?

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Thank you for that critical info! I don't want a poor beaten up female. Also, would a single male, no females, be alright in a 55g with the fish listed in my signature?

I wish I could answer that. I imagine it will do fine with the pleco's. I believe it may get nippy with the guppies because they have fancy little tails. I have no idea about the others. I hope someone else can advise you on it!

If I got rid of my guppies, swordtail, and mollies, I'm assuming it will leave the remaining 3 alone. *BGK and 2 Plecs*. I'm always drooling over iridescent Crowntails and Halfmoons, sometimes a Delta. I saw this beautiful-but-slowly-dying iridescent crowntail, it was almost white with a white opaline glow to it, and I almost got it. But my dad said I should go with the BGK I have now. And will Bettas eat freeze-dried or algae wafers? Cause if they do, I'll get some. If not, I'll have to get another fish. My dad's being real money-saving here with fish food...

I had guppies in a 10g and bought a betta. Within a week, he destroyed all my guppies..... idk if its always like that our not, but I've been too afraid to mix anything else in with him..... If you decide to do this, procede with extreme caution.

I had guppies in a 10g and bought a betta. Within a week, he destroyed all my guppies..... idk if its always like that our not, but I've been too afraid to mix anything else in with him..... If you decide to do this, procede with extreme caution.

Thanks. I might not get them then. My friends always love my guppies and plecs. I'm not sure they'd be happy with a serial killing betta

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Thanks. I might not get them then. My friends always love my guppies and plecs. I'm not sure they'd be happy with a serial killing betta

Lol! Serial killer...

There are alot of other interesting fish you can put in the tank. I think glo light tetras are lovely. I don't know how they will get along with the guppies.

Just to answer your food question, I feed my betta floating pellets. He eats two a day so the little $3 jar will last a long time.

I dont think you will have much luck putting the Betta with bgk, it will probably eat your Betta at some point. Same with your guppies, knife food, saves finding them a new home though.

Bettas in a 55

If you are going to get multiple Bettas for your tank, you want to just keep females. They will have the nice colors as the males but won't have the long finnage so they can swim better in that sized tank. A male Betta in that size tank might have difficulties getting to the surface to breathe. Female Bettas are also less likely to pick on your guppies. Males do it because they are attracted by the flashy color. They think the Guppy is another male Betta so they attack.
Black Ghosts emit an small electrical charge to help them locate food so any smaller fish that hangs out by the bottom (other than armored plated catfish species) might become a meal. They do prefer meat so any form of worm or insect or crustacean small enough to fit into their mouths will do. I doubt they will eat a waffer type food.

Dang, late reply lol. My bgk's is perfectly fine right now, he's not gonna be foraging on any of my fish anytime soon, he's still 3 inches big, and hides in his small Arizona rock slab. My plecos hang on either the fake bonsai tree with his tail in the coconut, or underneath the bigger Arizona rock slab. I think I will keep these 3 for a long time, and donate more of my guppies later in the month or next, and buy some fish that would get along with these 3.

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Dang, late reply lol. My bgk's is perfectly fine right now, he's not gonna be foraging on any of my fish anytime soon, he's still 3 inches big, and hides in his small Arizona rock slab. My plecos hang on either the fake bonsai tree with his tail in the coconut, or underneath the bigger Arizona rock slab. I think I will keep these 3 for a long time, and donate more of my guppies later in the month or next, and buy some fish that would get along with these 3.

Hi.

I have a BGK that is now 10" in size, he Is without a doubt the coolest fish I have ever owned. He will eat guppy's and anything else off that size when he gets bigger. Just be careful if you plan on keeping smaller fish with him. The betta's will probably get terrorised by the BGK if not eaten.

The plecs will be fine tho.

I have done lots of research on BGK fish and although you here that they get to over a 2 feet long, that is in the wild. In the aquarium they are a very hard fish to get past 12". That being said a tank of 100g or more is recommended. Mine is currently in a 66g but will be transferred to a 130g in thee next week or so.

They grow pretty quick too. Mine loves Frozen blood worm, mussel, brineshrimp and garlic, and also likes tetra prima.
Mine was about 2 inches when I brought him 5 months ago. Like I say he is now 10"

Hope this info helps.

Thanks ^w^ Would Kuro (my BGK) try to eat fish that are 2-4 inches? Because I am planning on getting some loaches, cory catfish, gourami (one or 2), and an Otto.
Clown loaches - 3-5
Golden Dojo loaches - no idea how many would be good for a 55g
Albino/Reg Cory catfish - 2-3
Honey Sunset gourami - 1-2
Otocincluses - 1-2
I really don't wanna buy fish just to find them eaten by Kuro.

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Thanks ^w^ Would Kuro (my BGK) try to eat fish that are 2-4 inches? Because I am planning on getting some loaches, cory catfish, gourami (one or 2), and an Otto.
Clown loaches - 3-5
Golden Dojo loaches - no idea how many would be good for a 55g
Albino/Reg Cory catfish - 2-3
Honey Sunset gourami - 1-2
Otocincluses - 1-2
I really don't wanna buy fish just to find them eaten by Kuro.

Loaches will be fine, clown get to about 7-10" inches max and dojo loaches a bit smaller.

Cory cats would be ok but i would say don't get them as juvies.

Gourami would be ok but don't forget the BGK gets big and needs a lot of tank space. A 55g tank is a bit small for that stock list especially as you have to plecs too.

Just something to think about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom