My NitrAtes are shy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I haven't stopped dosing ammonia yet... NitrIte levels have never dropped (Aside from my one water change.) It is still 0 Ammonia (unless you test after a dosing), and 20ppm NitrItes.

I'd stop dosing. The good thing is that ammonia isn't sticking around for long. That means there is a lot of nitrifying bacteria in there to eat it up quick. Let it go for a few days with no ammonia. My guess is that your Nitrate kit isn't reading properly because of the Nitrites being so high (still never seen nitrite numbers that high!) My best guess anyways. But if you are seeing ammonia dissapear, that's good. Just stop adding it now and let things happen naturally.

HTH

Ok I guess I have nothing else to lose. What about lighting? On or off? I had it off (except when I'm in the bathroom), because of the threat of algae. Should I try leaving it on during the day.

How many days no ammonia?

Julie,

I too am in the middle of a fishless cycle and will be the first to agree that it is tough wating. My nitrates are all over the place, one day high and the next day low. From everything I read I think in your case the best advice is to stop doing the nitrAte test. Keep feeding ammonia to maintain ~ 2ppm and watch the nitrItes. They will come down with time ( so I am told ). After you have 0 on the ammonia and nitrite, you can do a nitrate test. It should be more accurate then and you can do the PWC to lower them...

Hang in there.

Algae is going to happen, no matter what, sorry to say. :) A little is inevitable. I'd leave the lights on if you want them, off if you want them off. It doesn't really matter.

Maybe crank the heat a little. Bacteria will multiply faster in warmer water.

The temperature was 90 for the first few weeks, but I was told that was too high, so it's been 82 for a while now.

rkilling1 said:
Add some fish food to the tank. A stalled cycle can occur if there isn't any phosphates present in the tank. Same goes for oxygen. Make sure you are getting good agitation of the water surface.

Here is a great article:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?fldAuto=52&faq=2

please read through it.

HTH

Thank you but I already do that. I add a pinch of fish food about once a week. I have read it already, before I started cycling a month ago.

I also have the filter above the surface creating agitation, and a decent size bubbler in the tank, that has never been off.

Back
Top Bottom