My Peacock Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcedAngelKiss

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Peacock Eel doesn't seem to eat (or at least not when I feed the rest of the fish) I am feeding them Tropical Flakes and was told that the eel would eat them. I've had him for about a month now and he's still living so I am going to assume he's eating something lol...Is this normal? Any suggestion on what I should get him? I had tried dried worms and it didn't go for that either...

Peacock eels are nocturnal and should be fed when you are turning your tank light off. They should be fed live or frozen bloodworms and I also feed my eel baby cichlid sinking pellets. Peacock eels have very small mouths and need to be fed food that will fit in it's mouth. It has probably eaten the fish flakes but should have a different diet for better health. When you buy any fish always ask what your LFS feed that fish.

The frozen bloodworms are what I had fed him, but I may try the cichlid sinking pellets.
and I'm assuming it is normal for them to bury themselves in the gravel?
I am fairly new to aquariums and had bought him at a pet store, the salesman had told me he would eat the flakes, after my own research I had tried the frozen blood worms.

Yes it will bury itself because it may feel unsafe in your tank. If you don't want it to bury itself use something to make a dark, small, cave for the eel to hide in. The eel should eat frozen bloodworms, try the pellets though!

Thank you! I have a pirate ship he stays in a lot, I know they are shy, and it takes time for them to adjust, so when I finally saw him come out of the ship I was happy :) but then started to wonder why all my plants were coming up out of the gravel lol

I recommend frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms.

They are really good for finicky eaters and nocturnal bottom dwellers e.g. eels, knifefish, elephant nose...
Always worked for me!

Frozen blood worms would be a great food. Or treat in my eels case. I feed him frozen blood worms 2 times every week and pellets the rest of the days.

When your eel becomes more comfortable you will see him more often.

Back
Top Bottom