My pervy guppy is trying to mate w/ my molly!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried to explain the laws of reproduction to hime, but it didn't seem to sink in. Should I a) let them sort it out or b) take him back to the lfs and try a diff type of community fish? I kind of hate to return him, since he's so pretty (light blue head, dark blue body and orange tail) and he's already been thru QT. Sigh...

I don't keep any platies, although I have a tank full of random guppies.. which I don't think has a male adult guppy anymore, he seems to have disappeared, can't locate him.. Ah well, the tank has like 25 fry and 2 adult females still..

I remember reading that platies and guppies are similar enough that mating can occur, but most likely any offspring will be sterile and/or weak/deformed and unlikely to survive.

I don't think you'd need the return the fish. He should get over it, or get him some guppy females.

My male Guppies have tried to mate with everything in the tank, it is no big deal, until the Guppies start getting beat up. Once you get a few male Guppies, they will try to mate with each other :roll:

*giggles*

Tell him it will never work; she's a better breed and he's from the wrong side of the tank ;)

As long as he's not harassing any of the other fish too badly, don't worry bout it!

I do feel prejudiced, imposing my human ideas of love on the poor guppy, but I worry what he will feel when his advances are rejected.... :oops: Good thing I was given a small clump of java fern for everyone to hide in. I won't start worrying unless the guppy starts eyeing the hillstream loach....

"I won't start worrying unless the guppy starts eyeing the hillstream loach...."

Once the Loach smacks around the Guppy a few times, the Guppy should figure it out :)

LMAO :lol: I had this prob with an over-eager juvenile platy. He was a WILD one! Tried to have his way with female AND male platies, guppies, the algae eater, and my neon rosy barb. And yes, I did ask the forum's opinion on whether or not constant rejection would stress him out... :oops: Turns out we shouldn't worry about the horny buggers. Mine's mellowed out a bit, but still has his pervy outbursts.

maybe he will just give up after being rejected and realizing they are two different types of fish lol...

Bwaaahahahahaha poor Mr Burns - you sure you want to deal with all that rejection? ;)

Back
Top Bottom